Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plutnicki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
In my quest to become MS free, at least on my new laptop, I'm considering buying and installing Appleworks. Is it a decently worth spreadsheet and word processing software? That's all I really need to have running, the rest is fluff as far as I'm concerned.

Actually, now that I think of it, I think I got a version of Appleworks that came with my iMac, as a standalone app, that should install on the powerbook, no?

Why don't the powerbooks come with Appleworks pre-installed like it did on my iMac?

Thx,

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
AppleWorks is fine

One reason MS is kinda nice is because its really easy to send an MS file over the net and open it with ease on a WinDoZe computer

However --- we can create PDF's on the Print Screen, so maybe its not a big deal after all

Otherwise, AppleWorks is fine..... the spreadsheets are also fine, as long as you aren't doing any major Excel-type of operations on it...

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
AppleWorks is good for basic tasks, but it still doesn't include many major functions. The Microsoft file conversion filter doesn't always work, especially with complicated Word documents and Excel spreadsheets. AppleWorks also doesn't support Microsoft's PowerPoint files. I was glad when OpenOffice.org came to the Mac OS X platform, and I use it more than AppleWorks now. OpenOffice.org is much better at handling Microsoft's proprietary file formats, and it has many more important features than AppleWorks offers. You also don't have to worry about file incompatibilities between computing platforms since OpenOffice.org uses the XML file format standards.

http://www.openoffice.org/

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
even though I have MS office, I greatly prefer appleworks, and almost always use it over office. the only loss, at least for me, is compatibility with wintel boxes... but I have office for times when that matters.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I've used both AppleWorks and MS Office for years. AppleWorks word processing has most of the features you'll need for letters, reports, and other regular word processing. It doesn't have every bell and whistle like MS Word, but it is more intuitive and straightforward to use.

AppleWorks spreadsheet is very limited compared to Excel. I usually can't stand it for long. But if that's all I had, I could manage. Number one on the list of missing feature is in-cell editing.

For a casual user, the AppleWorks drawing component is a lot easier to use than Word's drawing tools. And AppleWorks even has a painting component.

Apple's philosphy has been that AppleWorks is a consumer product, to be packaged with the "consumer" Mac models, but left out for "business" models, namely the PowerBook and PowerMac.

AppleWorks is badly in need of an update, just to keep up with the times, but it's still a bargain for what it does.

tazo

macrumors 68040
Re: Appleworks worthy?

Originally posted by plutnicki
In my quest to become MS free, at least on my new laptop, I'm considering buying and installing Appleworks. Is it a decently worth spreadsheet and word processing software? That's all I really need to have running, the rest is fluff as far as I'm concerned.

Actually, now that I think of it, I think I got a version of Appleworks that came with my iMac, as a standalone app, that should install on the powerbook, no?

Why don't the powerbooks come with Appleworks pre-installed like it did on my iMac?

Thx,

no it is not. just use word.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
Re: Re: Appleworks worthy?

Originally posted by tazo
no it is not. just use word.

I use Word too - AbiWord ;)

Who is going to pay for the $370 :eek: Microsoft license to use Microsoft Word? Note that "plutnicki" wants to become Microsoft-free and to have capable word processing and spreadsheet programs. Paying Microsoft an exorbitant amount of money for a proprietary and standards-incompliant product that does only word processing and not spreadsheets isn't the way to do that; downloading and installing OpenOffice.org is.

MacMaelstrom

macrumors member
Apple should make a more complete office suite... Apple Office. I'm sure it'd really take off. My aunt works at an all mac company where Office v.X is used. It's terribile. It takes 5 seconds to scroll on their dual 800 MHz G4s. Printing takes about 30 minutes a page on the fastest laser printers they could find. It's all because of Office v.X. Everthing else on the systems are fine.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Originally posted by MacMaelstrom
Apple should make a more complete office suite... Apple Office. I'm sure it'd really take off. My aunt works at an all mac company where Office v.X is used. It's terribile. It takes 5 seconds to scroll on their dual 800 MHz G4s. Printing takes about 30 minutes a page on the fastest laser printers they could find. It's all because of Office v.X. Everthing else on the systems are fine.

Funny, I use Office v.X on much older, slower Macs than your aunt's dual 800, and I've never run into any of those problems. I think your aunt's company needs to hire a systems person to come in and figure out what the trouble is.

tazo

macrumors 68040
Re: Re: Re: Appleworks worthy?

Originally posted by arogge
I use Word too - AbiWord ;)

Who is going to pay for the $370 :eek: Microsoft license to use Microsoft Word? Note that "plutnicki" wants to become Microsoft-free and to have capable word processing and spreadsheet programs. Paying Microsoft an exorbitant amount of money for a proprietary and standards-incompliant product that does only word processing and not spreadsheets isn't the way to do that; downloading and installing OpenOffice.org is.

abiword is good. i use it on RH9 a lot. that too me seems pretty good, opens up word docs fine, saves them fine :)
to me abiword seems better than apple works. i dont know why...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
How good is OpenOffice at saving a document properly in .doc format when there are a lot of bullets in the document? I posted in the Software forum that saving a document in Word format didn't work very well for me. All my fonts were 1 inch in front of my bullet points, even though it shouldn't have been more than 1 blank space in front. Its all very strange. I don't want this type of formatting problem occuring if I were to send a resume to someone, or a thesis to a professor, for example.

Originally posted by MacMaelstrom
It takes 5 seconds to scroll on their dual 800 MHz G4s. Printing takes about 30 minutes a page on the fastest laser printers they could find. It's all because of Office v.X. Everthing else on the systems are fine.

Call an exorcist. Rid the systems of the demon....the demon within!!! Argh!!!

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
well...

appleworks is junk.
If you want to do just a little more than vi can do, appleworks is not the tool of choice.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
Originally posted by Abstract
How good is OpenOffice at saving a document properly in .doc format when there are a lot of bullets in the document?

There are problems with this conversion, but it should get fixed. AppleWorks has a similar problem. Isn't it fun having to work with Microsoft's proprietary file formats? :(

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
After being a staunch AW user for years, I gave in and got Office v. X when my Univ. was selling it for $9.95 (yes, nine dollars). While I like Word for the most part, all I can say is that I also think it is very slow. Scrollin gis slow, and that stupid automatic spell checker is too slow. I wish it also didn't have things like that turned on by default. I'd rather make the choice to turn it on myself. I do like being able to send and recive .doc files flawlessly though. Makes things a lot easier. I always had some strange formatting problems with OpenOffice also. It just gt to be a pain in the butt.

Regards,
Gus

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
Originally posted by Gus
After being a staunch AW user for years, I gave in and got Office v. X when my Univ. was selling it for $9.95 (yes, nine dollars).

I might consider buying it at that price.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
i think word is an extremely powerful program and honestly if your rampant zealotism is preventing you from accepting a seriously good product, you truly do give a poor name to an already misjudged subculture.

It has lots of features, but Microsoft has deliberately made it incompatible with real standards and it's overpriced for what Microsoft offers. I haven't used Microsoft Word for more than five years and have never paid for the Office license. Software such as OpenOffice.org and Corel WordPerfect are very good products and do comply with real standards. Instead of paying for Microsoft Office, I can buy a lot of RAM or some Apple software instead. Why give money to the Microsoft monopoly that continually steals Apple's ideas and the ideas from many other companies? We should be trying to get rid of Microsoft, not support it.

tazo

macrumors 68040
It has lots of features, but Microsoft has deliberately made it incompatible with real standards and it's overpriced for what Microsoft offers. I haven't used Microsoft Word for more than five years and have never paid for the Office license. Software such as OpenOffice.org and Corel WordPerfect are very good products and do comply with real standards. Instead of paying for Microsoft Office, I can buy a lot of RAM or some Apple software instead. Why give money to the Microsoft monopoly that continually steals Apple's ideas and the ideas from many other companies? We should be trying to get rid of Microsoft, not support it.

lol when like 90 percent of the market is using your product, that IS the standard. lol.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
lol when like 90 percent of the market is using your product, that IS the standard. lol.

It might not be so bad if it weren't for the fact that Microsoft Office files are sometimes incompatible with Microsoft Office. :confused: Office files won't always open properly with different versions of Office, and sometimes they won't even open properly with the same Office version that saved the file if the file is moved to another Windows version. :rolleyes:

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
i think word is an extremely powerful program and honestly if your rampant zealotism is preventing you from accepting a seriously good product, you truly do give a poor name to an already misjudged subculture.

I don't think it is zealotism to think that word is crap. Practically everybody on my course at UNI runs into problems with word because it is crap when we are doing assigments. Especially the confusing way of managing bullet points in a standard report format document. There are good ideas in it but they are implemented in a terrible way and only intrude and get in the way of the user. IT assumes far too much about what your are trying to do and then it won't let you do it differently. In short word is a terrible, terrible program.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Instead of paying for Microsoft Office, I can buy a lot of RAM or some Apple software instead. Why give money to the Microsoft monopoly that continually steals Apple's ideas and the ideas from many other companies? We should be trying to get rid of Microsoft, not support it.

:eek: www.limewire.com
Who said that? WHO SAID THAT???

When running 2 copies of Word (with the same CD key) on the same network, a warning message pops up and one instance of Word is shut down.

Use Open Source software and help fight the good fight. Anyway, I though one of the points of switching to the Mac was to get away from M$...

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
i like AppleWorks. i don't do a lot of office stuff though. it's actually really powerful and has a lot of features if you get into it deep enough. problem is that the interface is getting old and it's not that easy to use any more. i have a feeling the next version is going to have some MAJOR stuff going though. it's been quiet for too long and there is a growing market. i'm thinking it will have a totally new GUI, better word proc functions, better spreadsheet functions, and even maybe a WYSIWYG web design feature. i think it will include seamless integration with Keynote also. hell, maybe Apple is working on their own little suite of office tools for us. right now i use Keynote, AppleWorks, and FileMaker Pro and i couldnt be happier. again, i'm sensing some serious progress coming soon for AppleWorks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.