Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Remwoodz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2018
My ancient MAC laptop died and I was able to retrieve old files(1996-2007) from the internal hard drive. Dozens of articles were written with Appleworks and my current i-mac cannot open the documents. Called Apple and they were unable to solve the issue. Any suggestions? the docs are important to me. Do I buy an antique Mac that is still functioning with Appleworks?
Thanks

Remwoodz

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
One possibility is to run Snow Leopard and the Appleworks app in a virtual machine. I’ve got one in VirtualBox doing exactly that but I set it up so long ago I don’t remember how I did it.

Another is to run Appleworks in the classic Mac environment via SheepShaver or something similar. Macintoshrepository.org has the old AW software.

There are probably Windows methods, also, as Appleworks was available for Windows, also.

Reactions: OLDCODGER

Remwoodz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2018
One possibility is to run Snow Leopard and the Appleworks app in a virtual machine. I’ve got one in VirtualBox doing exactly that but I set it up so long ago I don’t remember how I did it.

Another is to run Appleworks in the classic Mac environment via SheepShaver or something similar. Macintoshrepository.org has the old AW software.

There are probably Windows methods, also, as Appleworks was available for Windows, also.
Thanks so much for your assistance.,,,,I'll do the suggested research.,,,Do you make house calls:)
[doublepost=1545694425][/doublepost]
"AppleWorks word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation files can be opened in the iWork applications Pages, Numbers, and Keynote respectively."
Thanks Alex...I research your suggestion. Hoping it works!

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Reactions: MSastre

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"My ancient MAC laptop died and I was able to retrieve old files(1996-2007) from the internal hard drive. Dozens of articles were written with Appleworks and my current i-mac cannot open the documents. Called Apple and they were unable to solve the issue. Any suggestions?"

I have the solution you need.
Best of all, it's free.

Download "LibreOffice":
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/?type=mac-x86_64&version=6.1&lang=en-US

Then... open LibreOffice and try opening those old AppleWorks files.

You may be very VERY pleasantly surprised!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.