Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I was wondering if anyone could give me any feedback on Appleworks. I am looking for a basic word proccessing program that gives me a bit more features that TextEdit. AppleWorks is only $40 from apple edu store, which isn't a bad price (IMO) I have read recently though that most people seem to think AppleWorks is extremely outdated. I will most likely purchase Office 2004 Pro when it comes around July, but was looking for something to hold me over to then. If you could keep your post to AppleWorks it would appreciated. Also if you have copy that you would be willing to sell I would be interested. Thanks for any advice.

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2002
I have appleworks, and use it.

For simple editing of documents it feels fine. Does what it needs to do.
For databases, excel type files etc, I use openoffice (http://www.openoffice.org, you need x11, .. the office is free. Legally) - openoffice is uglier, vut if I didn't have appleworks I would use only that (With notes.app and subethaedit for other editing).

I think it will be the best solution that you try it, and see if you like it/ ;)

My bf likes mellel (application). You can look for that in versiontracker and try the demo ..

I enjoy having no m$ applications. So I like the applworks .. and openoffice. Doing some things with one app, others with the other.

ij3ffy

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2004
Chicago
I'd say if you want something a little more involing in text edit, Appleworks is pretty good choice. Expecially for the cost. I don't know how much Office v.X is there, but the education price of MS office is around 149.00 everywhere. Which still is expensive, but a far far away from the standard 399.00 cost. There are other "cheaper" office applications like Think Free Office, that is 49.00. And open office is "Free", but its a little more envolviing, requiring X11, as the previous poster stated. I suggest giving AppleWorks a try for that price over the rest, and if AppleWorks just doesn't do enough for you, then I would go with the more expensive office suite options.

Crikey

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2004
Spencer's Butte, Oregon
You're right twice: AppleWorks includes a competent simple word processing module, and it's a pretty outdated app. It's usable, though. I use it on my old System 8.6 pre-G3 PowerBook, when I need it. I always intended to put it on my G4 running OS X, but never got around to it.

Like Giaguara, I put OpenOffice on my OS X machine. It's free, reasonably compatible with MS Office, and it runs across OS X, Windows, and Linux, although unfortunately the Mac port is way behind the others. If I were Apple, I'd have some good engineers help out with that situation; that they have not lends some credence to the "iWrite: Apple is going to put out an office suite or at least way-upgrade AppleWorks" rumor.

I use OpenOffice for spreadsheets, but I use TextEdit for word processing (my needs are simple). I also bought and use ThinkFree Office (http://www.thinkfree.com), which is pretty cool and fairly MS Office-compatible, but is a Java app and can be sluggish.

I'm an OpenOffice fan, but unless you like tweaking and don't mind waiting 45 seconds for OpenOffice to load when you click the icon, AppleWorks is probably worth your $40 to tide you over till MS Office 2004. I showed my girlfriend OpenOffice on my Mac, and offered to set it up on hers, but she was put off by the slow load time and the "clunky" X11 look, so she declined and bought her own copy of ThinkFree Office.

Cheers,

Crikey

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Appleworks is fine. The only thing outdated about it is the interface. Features and functionality are great. I do use Office though--grudgingly. I have to share files with the rest of the world, which can be a problem with AppleWorks.

If you want good features and low price and are willing to tolerate a less attractive interface then AppleWorks is a great choice.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Appleworks is a decent program for a decent price. It is getting a little long in tooth, but its a pretty solid program.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2003
just don't expect the text in appleworks to be as smooth as the text in textedit.

although i think there is a program that will change all that...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
AppleWorks is fine for most uses and it's very good for an entry level application, even though many people seem to think it should go head-to-head with MS Office. If it has a terrible fault, it's the half-baked presentation module, but then, you can buy Keynote for that, if you must.

I have trouble with Japanese text in it but that won't hurt most people using it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.