Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldgal01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
I want to update my panther 10.3.9 to the latest machine. I believe that the new macs dont have appleworks on them. I have a large document in apple works and want to add to it. I dont want to lose it. I am not very computer savvy and I hope the people who sell me my new mac can transfer most of my stuff to the new computer otherwise I will lose photos etc. I am a bit lost. Thanks

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Once you upgrade to a new machine, put iWork '09 on it. iWork applications have support for AppleWorks documents. Also, if you buy your mac at an Apple Store, they can transfer you documents, photos, etc. for a fee.

Don

oldgal01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
appleworks

Thank you for replying. I have appleworks 6 does this make any difference.

oldgal01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
appleworks

Thanks again. But what does PM mean (hope not post menopause) - as my name says I am really an old gal. lol.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Thanks again. But what does PM mean (hope not post menopause) - as my name says I am really an old gal. lol.

It means Private Message. You can private message any member who has private messaging enabled. You do it by clicking on the person's username and then selecting send a private message to "insert username". Some people on here aren't understanding with people who aren't very computer savvy. I understand that some people aren't very computer savvy (no offense), I get calls from my Grandmother almost daily about a computer problem:)

Don

PeggyD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Covington, WA, USA
I have appleworks 6 does this make any difference.

Yes. The iWork applications - Keynote, Pages & Numbers - can only open AppleWorks 6 presentation, word processing & spreadsheet documents, respectively. They will not open any other type of AppleWorks 6 files or any AppleWorks 5 or any version of ClarisWorks files.

If your document is an AppleWorks 6 word processing document, I think your best option is to open it in Pages. You can download the trial of iWork '09 to see how it will work for you.

You can install AppleWorks 6 on newer Macs, just make sure the installer is for version 6.2 or higher. Before that the installer required Classic. The simplest way to install is to copy the whole AppleWorks 6 folder from Applications to a CD & then copy it to Applications on the new Mac. This way you will have a backup should you ever need to reinstall. Make sure the AppleWorks 6 folder contains the AppleWorks 6.app and the folders AppleWorks Essentials & Starting Points. Do not move any preferences (except the Button Bar preferences if you have customized the Button Bar) nor the AppleWorks User data folder.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
You can always install Appleworks on a new Mac.
I have appleworks on an iBook running Leopard 10.5.8.

She could do that, but she would have run AppleWorks under Rosetta which would not be pleasant if doing so is anything remotely similar to running Office '04 under Rosetta.

To the OP- don't try to install iWork '09 on your current computer, 10.3.9 does not support iWork '09 which requires 10.4.11 and up. You'll have to wait until you get a new computer to try the iWork trail.

Don

PeggyD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Covington, WA, USA
She could do that, but she would have run AppleWorks under Rosetta which would not be pleasant if doing so is anything remotely similar to running Office '04 under Rosetta.

To the OP- don't try to install iWork '09 on your current computer, 10.3.9 does not support iWork '09 which requires 10.4.11 and up. You'll have to wait until you get a new computer to try the iWork trail.

Don

AppleWorks has always run under Rosetta on an Intel Mac. I've never noticed any difference between using Rosetta on an Intel Mac or running on a PPC Mac.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"AppleWorks has always run under Rosetta on an Intel Mac. I've never noticed any difference between using Rosetta on an Intel Mac or running on a PPC Mac."

I have.

As someone mentioned above, I just "copied over" my AppleWorks app folder to my Intel iMac.

Starts and runs, but with a "glitch" I can't track down.

In the spreadsheet and database modules, in the "entry bar" (just below menu bar at top of document), the font is now all "distorted".

I'm guessing the version of Geneva that AppleWorks uses (perhaps "embedded" into the app?) has some kind of "display problems" with running thru Rosetta, or with newer versions of OS X itself. I can tinker with the fonts "down below" in the document itself to get them readable, but can't seem to do anything with the entry bar.

Has anyone else seen this?

By the way, I get the _same problem_ when I use AppleWorks with 10.4.11. With 10.3.9 (running on a PowerMac g4), no problems at all.

PeggyD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Covington, WA, USA
In the spreadsheet and database modules, in the "entry bar" (just below menu bar at top of document), the font is now all "distorted".

I'm guessing the version of Geneva that AppleWorks uses (perhaps "embedded" into the app?) has some kind of "display problems" with running thru Rosetta, or with newer versions of OS X itself. I can tinker with the fonts "down below" in the document itself to get them readable, but can't seem to do anything with the entry bar.

Has anyone else seen this?

By the way, I get the _same problem_ when I use AppleWorks with 10.4.11. With 10.3.9 (running on a PowerMac g4), no problems at all.

Have you deleted the AppleWorks preferences? Have you used Font Book to validate fonts & resolve duplicates? Have you used Onxy or a similar program to delete caches?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.