AppleWorks6 and Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Elleswood285, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Elleswood285 macrumors newbie

Must I lose use of AppleWorks6 now on my SnowLeopard, when I move to Lion or MountainLion? I've hundreds of created files and I simply can't imagine not having them or my writing is all over. Can anyone tell me what to do?

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Unfortunately, the answer is: yes you will lose AppleWorks6 if you move beyond Snow Leopard. :( For whatever comfort there is, you aren't alone.

I recommend looking at the latest version of LibreOffice (the free open-source Office product suite). It has support for importing AppleWorks/ClarisWorks files. I don't know if it will run on Snow Leopard, but give it a try.

I have AppleWorks and ClarisWorks for Windows that I run in a virtual machine on my iMac when I need to work on a file (rather than just import it). That might be an option... But it would require Oracle's free VM VirtualBox, a copy of Windows, and a copy of AppleWorks/ClarisWorks for Windows.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Good tips from sracer there. Check to see if LibreOffice can import the files to your satisfaction. You didn't say what type of files you've been working with and I think that might make a difference.

The demise of AppleWorks was problematic for many. You may want to start exporting your files to a current format.

4. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

Fortunately the answer is NO!

Here is a post I recently assembled for a similar question

Appleworks 6 running in Snow Leopard Server installed into Parallels for use on Modern Macs (click on image to enlarge)

In the interim, study these two excellent articles:

Abandoning Appleworks, by Roger Wilnut

Appleworks for the Modern Day, a Migration Tip by a brody

Also: Installing Snow Leopard Server into Parallels for DUMMIES:

Attached Files:

5. skwoodwiva macrumors newbie

I swaped a SL partition for the recovery partition.