Application advice (for a GoLive user)

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by torndownunit, Feb 21, 2009.

1. torndownunit macrumors regular

I know ideally we should all know how to handcode. But for some of us it just isn't possible. Like a lot of designers, I mainly did print work and ended up doing web site design on the side because I needed more business. I started using CyberStudio, then ended up using GoLive. I have still used GoLive up till this point actually. I have made every effort to learn all I can about hand coding and CSS over the last few years though. But I work 2 jobs, I can't afford to go back to school, and it will be a long time before I can progress past the point of needing to use an editor that has some form of WYSIWYG. I am learning what I can, but I have to work and make money too in the meantime.

I really do like GoLive. I really mainly just use it to drag and drop DIV boxes where I want to make layouts. It's helped me learn to not use tables, though I am still learning the finer points of positioning. I make the layout, then go into code view and do most of the editing. I use a few other drag and drop functions, and then manually tweak them. The other reason I use GoLive is I really like it's site manager, and how it works with templates.

I assume GoLive isn't going to keep functioning properly forever though. Since it's not updated, I am guessing it will 'break' eventually. I have tried Dreamweaver and find it to be a cluttered mess. Are there any other programs out there you guys can recommend? Something that has some of those features I like from GoLive, but that aren't as complicated as Dreamweaver?

Thanks a lot.

2. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Although it hasn't got any kind of WYSIWYG mode, I've found the way Coda manages and uploads sites to be very useful.

3. torndownunit thread starter macrumors regular

Just an update, I am trying out the Flux 2 beta. I tried Beta one and while I thought it was a cool application, it didn't fit my needs. Beta 2 has come a LONG way. So it may fill the void for me.

Not trying to plug the product or anything, just leaving the info in case anyone else in my position finds the thread.