Application declined. Help needed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hubble1990, Nov 19, 2007.

1. hubble1990 macrumors member

I would like some advice as I have just been declined the tarriff from 02. So basically I'm left with the iphone and no connection. What are my options here?? Should I try and have the phone hacked and go to any network or simply return the phone back to apple??

I'm gutted as I really wanted this phone.

Comments welcome.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. hubble1990 thread starter macrumors member

Yes. They basically said that my application has been declined and couldnt comment any further as it was something to do with data protection.:confused:

4. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

blaster_boy

If they don't want to give you the tariff, I should think it logical that you should be able to return the iphone; but logic is not always right in these instances. Check your contract details ?

If you really want to keep it, get it hacked. Since you are in the UK, my guess is it's on firmware 1.1.2. Hacking and unlocking 1.1.2 is a convoluted process, and there's multiple ways of doing it, but it's doable by someone who can follow instructions exactly.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

So it basically comes down to if you want to be stuck dealing with having to re-hack your phone every time there is a firmware update that you want to apply. Or return it and get a SE W960 when it's out :D

6. hubble1990 thread starter macrumors member

My only worry of having it hacked is will it successfully work?? what are the downsides of this and will it work properly. There's so many threads on here regarding how to unlock, but what and which one is the best one to use. Also how simple is it do to??

7. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

on the O2 website it stats

"If you fail the credit check or if you are not entirely satisfied with your purchase, you must return the iPhone in "as new" condition with all the original packaging and accessories to the point of purchase within 14 days from the date of receipt, with a valid till receipt or other proof of purchase to entitle you to a refund. If you've failed the credit check you'll also need your email confirming activation failure."

Link is here, under Returns Section

http://shop.o2.co.uk/promo/iphonebeforeyoubuy

8. hubble1990 thread starter macrumors member

Hi Mark. Thanks for the info - much appreciated

9. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

blaster_boy

As for hacking, generally good guides can be found on "hack the iphone dot com" (not sure if I am allowed to post this here or not).

10. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I don't understand why carriers require a credit check. If someone doesn't pay their bill they can just turn off service. They don't lose anything except a month's fees. On the other hand if they deny service because of a failed credit check they potentially lose out on years of revenue.

11. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

Of course you need a credit check. The customer could be fraudulent, the customer could ring up 100's of pounds in call charges (overseas calls) or all sorts of things.

Like it or not the networks want good quality customers who spend well and pay all their bills on time. Signing up people for a billed service who are fraudulent, not credit worthy or any other decline excuse is in no way good for business or revenue.

12. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Why oh why is data protection constantly used as an excuse for not giving someone an answer to a legitimate enquiry these days.

You are entitled to know the basis upon which the decision was made. It might be erroneous after all.

The other great excuse/get out these days is 'health and safety'!

13. ascender macrumors 68000

I think its always been the case that you aren't told why you failed a credit check, usually because the retailer doesn't know. They'll just get a yes/no against their scoring criteria via the company/system they use.

Get a copy of your credit report from Experian & Equifax for starters if there's nothing you can think of which would obviously count against you.

Its also been normal for credit checks by mobile phone companies on new customers for as long as I can remember.

14. atarin macrumors regular

I don't understand the credit check thing. I got my first AT&T contract (not pre-paid) in 2000. At the time, I had never had a phone in my name (cell phone or land line). They obviously didn't run a credit check (my credit was horrible at the time and no credit check from AT&T has ever been found on any of my credit reports - I check that regularly to detect ID theft), they don't seem to run checks when I add more lines to the account (I now have 4), and in the 7 years I have had AT&T (including the time it was Cingular), they have never once reported my account (perfect payments) to any credit bureau (which bites, because it would seriously help improve my credit rating even more than what I have already done). I regularly check all 3 bureaus, and my cell phone account never shows up! I think that since AT&T never reports to the bureaus, it is incredibly hypocritical for them to be requiring credit checks to establish service these days! I can't believe the gall of checking someone's credit when the company doesn't even contribute to the system! :mad:

Back to the OP: doesn't O2 have pre-paid like AT&T does? I'm not familiar with how cell phone service works in other countries. Pre-paid is not ideal, but you could still use the phone without having to deal with all the unlocking issues.