Application Folder Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by modernart, Jan 10, 2010.

1. modernart macrumors member

If a program is not listed in the Application folder, is it safe to assume it is not installed?

The reason I ask is because I downloaded Gimp from Cnet, "installed it", tried it out for a bit, and decided it wasn't for me. However, during this process, I never dragged Gimp into my Application folder, and left the .dmg file on my desktop.

Do I still have to "uninstall" it even though I never dragged it into my Application folder? I deleted the .dmg file and did a search on Finder for Gimp and found nothing, so my assumption is that it is 100% gone from my system.

Thoughts?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It is not installed anymore if you deleted it.

Also applications don't need to be in the Applications folder to be working (installed). Many applications don't really need to be installed like in Windows, they just need to be dragged out of the disk image, and the Applications folder is just the convenient place to put them, but they would also run when put somewhere else, or even started from the mounted .dmg.

3. modernart thread starter macrumors member

^thanks for the quick reply. so by just deleting a .dmg file does the trick to uninstall a program? or does that only work for certain programs?

Because all I did was delete the Gimp .dmg file and I never bothered clicking on "Show Package Contents" to uninstall it. I don't even remember seeing an uninstall option.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Okay.

A .dmg file is slightly compressed archive (or Disk IMage), that is used for delivering content (mostly applications).
    Some of those applications just need to be dragged to the Applications folder (or any other if you like) and then the application is "installed". After that you can delete the .dmg file, but the application will be still there.

Some applications though need a installation routine to be used properly.
    Those installation packages often come on .dmg files, once you open the .dmg file you will be presented with the installer (.pkg or .mpkg or ....).
    You have to execute the installer, which will extract the application into the Applications folder and maybe some other files somewhere else (Library or Users/you/Library).
    After the installation is done you can also delete the .dmg file, and the application will be still there.
    Some of those "need to be installed" applications also come with an uninstaller, residing on the .dmg, so if you want to use that uninstaller, you either keep the .dmg file or re-download the .dmg.

The "Show Package Contents" has nothing to do with installation or unistallation.

Mac OS X applications come most of the time in one file, which is a package and holds almost all needed files.
    Some applications come with more files in one folder in the Applications folder, Photoshop for example.
    But still the Photoshop application is one file (package), but also has some other files it does need (plug-ins, help, ...).

That's why uninstaller applications exist (for software that came without one) to remove all the data that is linked to that application and save some storage space.

Have a look here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9067063&postcount=18