Application folder in dock icon size problems.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by doktordoris, Aug 23, 2010.

1. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Hullo,

How does one alter the size of the icons in the application folder on the dock?
    The icons are enormous, yet there are none of the usual size changing gadgets.

Thanks for your time

doris

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

3. doktordoris thread starter macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

I actually read your thread before I posted, but as it was so old I thought matters may have improved.

Bah, that is the 3rd thing to annoy me in 4 months of mac ownership.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

The more items there are, the smaller the icons get. Try it on one with very few in comparison to one with a boat load and you'll see the difference. What's wrong with them being large? I could see the problem if the size prevented the displaying of all the icons at once, but they've taken care of that. But, I'm not sure if there's a limit to that rule.

5. ag2web macrumors newbie

ag2web

6. dl0banter macrumors newbie

Resolved: here are the exact steps

1. Right click on Applications folder in the dock and change the view to "List"
    2. Open Terminal
    3. In terminal, type 2 commands.

defaults write com.apple.dock use-new-list-stack -boolean YES
    killall Dock

4. At this point the Dock will restart. Change the view of the Applications folder in the dock back to "Grid".
    5. Click the applications folder; when it is in view (the Grid view of all icons in the application folder), you can now use the Cmd- and Cmd+ keystrokes to make the icons either smaller or larger.

:)

If you don't understand these steps exactly, watch the video posted here and it does a step-by-step outlining the actual steps you take to perform this.

7. slvrscoobie macrumors 6502a

slvrscoobie

Just registered to tell you, in 10.8 at least, no extra steps are required. In grid view just use CMD+ or CMD- to change the size of the icon directly.
    woooh! fixed my scrolling requirements on a 17" MBP when i had like 20 apps installed :p

8. McSh5 macrumors member

thank you!