Application folder question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by looxlmc, Sep 7, 2012.

1. looxlmc macrumors newbie

Hey, i have a realy short but quick question. I have install apps on my imac, i wonder.

Is the only the app folder necessary for run apps installd in the app folder? :p

/ Thanks for all! :D

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If I understand your question, the answer is yes, the only place apps should be installed is in your /Applications folder. The only variation to that is if you want an app to be available to only one user. In that case, you may be able to install in the ~/Applications folder. Be aware that some apps will not update or function properly if they're not installed in the default folder.

3. cooky560 macrumors regular

cooky560

iLife for example won't update if you move it. (I tend to put the applications in a folder marked iLife so the path was /Applications/iLife/iPhoto for example) until it told me I had updates, but software update couldn't see them. Moving it back to /Applications fixed that.

4. looxlmc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all responds. Soo some apps will work and some will not work. Thanks!

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's why it's recommended that you always install in the /Applications folder.

6. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Yes that's right, lots of apps warn you now anyway.

Just a good policy to keep them there for tidiness factor too.

7. dancj macrumors 6502

Will they be okay in subfolders of the Applications folder?

I've shoved my games into a Games folder for tidiness.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're looking for organization, it's better to leave all your apps in the /Applications folder. Just create aliases for the apps (or only the apps you use frequently, if you wish). Put the aliases in another folder under your user folder, called something like "Apps". Then drag the Apps folder to your Dock in place of the Applications folder. You can create subfolders for the aliases to your heart's content, without risking problems.

9. jji7skyline macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

Actually, most apps will work fine on the desktop or any other user directory.

10. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

I wish Adobe would install in default Adobe folder,it creates a huge mess in your Applications folder; crap is scattered all over. Their applications cannot be moved easily without breaking them up (I have CS5)

11. looxlmc thread starter macrumors newbie

I will try to copy the app folder to antother drive. Then reinstall mac os x and tehn copy it back. That would work fine? :)

12. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Which is where Launch Pad begins to show its value... you can arrange the icons in Launch Pad independently of how the apps are stored in the Applications folder. Yet another subtle reminder from Apple that you don't need to dig down into the file system!

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no need to do that. Reinstalling Mac OS X will not remove your installed apps or user files. Before reinstalling, it's always a good idea to back up your drive.

14. dancj macrumors 6502

Actually that's not a bad idea. That way I can have my version of the 'Games' folder and then a censored version for the kids with the likes of Left 4 Dead removed.