Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
B'ham Uk
i have noticed that when i copy music from iTunes, and burn it on to a CD, the music cannot be played on a standard CD player. that is not a problem as i am only transferring my music from my iBook to my sisters laptop. but i will soon want to start burning my own playable CDs, is there any application downloadable that can do this for me, or anything preinstalled on my iBook. thanks!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
iTunes will let you burn MP3 CDs -- which many, but not all, stand-alone CD players will play. However, your songs need to be in MP3 in the first place... if not, iTunes will burn a 'data' CD which other Macs can read but most CD players will have a problem with.

You need something like Roxio's Toast to burn an Audio CD -- not free, but worth every penny if you want to burn all kinds of CDs & DVDs.

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
iTunes should allow you to burn an Audio CD, MP3 CD, or Data CD. Go to Preferences and click the 'Burning' tab to see which option you have checked.

The Audio CD option should create a CD that will play on a regular CD player, but you'll need to burn the CD from within iTunes, rather than through the Finder. To burn using iTunes, drag the tracks to a new playlist, and click the 'Burn Disc' icon on the top right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.