iPad Application for iPad 2 to set up wifi hotspot?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by interinfo, Jul 4, 2013.

1. interinfo macrumors regular

Does their exist an application for the ipad2 so that it can function as a wifi hotspot for my android phone and windows laptop ?

2. RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

You'll need to provide more information about your iPad 2 - is the device 'jailbroken' and do you have only Wi-Fi or also a cellular 3G/4G SIM? For 'internet tethering' on an iPad, a cellular connection is needed to setup the iPad as a 'hotspot' - and I'm not sure if this capability applies to only the newer iPads or extends back to the iPad 2; I also have an iPad 2 which is Wi-Fi only - hopefully others will 'chime in' w/ advice. In the mean time, take a look HERE (and scroll down to the post by PurpleSoul).

BTW, can your Android phone be setup as a 'hotspot'? :)

3. interinfo thread starter macrumors regular

not jailbroken 3g

i would get internet through the 3g sim card and then want to send out internet through the wifi

4. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

not unless you pay for it from your carrier, or if you jailbreak. no jailbreak for 6.1.3 on iPad 2. won't ever be.

5. RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

Well, appears that you'll need to check w/ your 3G carrier regarding 'pricing' on adding WiFi tethering - let us know how you work out the situation - :)