application for making brochures?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Shadowspirit6, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Shadowspirit6 macrumors regular

For school i have to make a brochure. since all of my freinds say you can just do it on microsoft Word(in which i dont have.) So do any of you have applications that might help?

2. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

3. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I'd recommend Pages—it's much better at page-layout tasks than Word.

5. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

You can download the fully-functional iWork '08 trial & use Pages to make your brochure.

6. Shadowspirit6 thread starter macrumors regular

7. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

Pages will be very capable of doing brochures, plus it will be easier than Word

Word 2011 is also very easy, and with the new Page Layout features has some advanced features to work with.

I have both iWork and Office and as I learn more and more of Office on the Mac I am really liking Office better than iWork. (But that is probably because I used Office 2010 on the PC before getting the Mac 3 months ago)

8. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

What kind of brochure?

I've laid out print material in everything from Word to Pagemaker; each has it's own strengths and weaknesses.

Presentation software (PowerPoint, Pages, Impress (OpenOffice.org - free suite similar to Office) are all pretty good when you have a lot of graphics but limited text formatting requirements.

WP (Word, Writer (OpenOffice), Pages) are much better for more complex text layouts but adding graphics is more challenging than in say PowerPoint.

Layout Programs - (Pagemaker, Scribus (open source layout program) give you lots of control but have step learning curves.

If you don't have any of the above, give OpenOffice a try - it's pretty good, free, and will let you try different types of programs to see what works best. When you're ready to print, save as a pdf (File > Export as PDF) for best compatibility and true WYSIWYG.

9. schrempws macrumors newbie

I think Pazteup is a good app for typesetting, making handouts, and A4 posters.

It provides different options for users. Users can set text wrap and changing the word formats. You can make the nice documents with these built-in features.

The only drawback will be that it only supports portrait mode. This is an app with potential. I’m looking forward to the next update.