Application for offline USA street map viewing

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by kaibob, Jul 6, 2010.

1. kaibob macrumors regular

I have been looking for an application that allows offline viewing of street maps on a wifi-only iPad. I don't need an application that provides navigation aids. I only want to input a street address and have the application display a zoomable street map for that location.

I spent quite a bit of time searching iTunes and googling on this, and the only applications I could fine are nDrive USA HD and Offmaps. Unfortunately, nDrive has been pulled from the app store and Offmaps has received somewhat bad ratings.

My questions:

1) Are there any other map applications that will do what I want? Once again, I am only interested in applications that store maps on the iPad for offline viewing.

2) I assume that nDrive USA HD will at some point be available again in the app store. Would anyone recommend this application or Offmaps?

Thanks for the help.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Moderation note: This thread was in another forum and has been moved to the iPad Apps forum.

3. kaibob thread starter macrumors regular

I am still looking for street maps for my iPad. I contacted MotionX thinking that one of their apps might do the job. Unfortunately, their maps are somewhat limited and appear not to be what I am looking for. Perhaps off-line maps like I want are simply not available right now but I thought I would raise this issue once more. Thanks for any help.

4. gillybean macrumors 6502a

What's wrong with the MotionX maps?

I have MotionX GPS for iPad and it let me download all the maps that I wanted for offline viewing.

You can't get the entire world because that would require much more storage than the iPad has, but if you know what locations you want beforehand, you can download those.

5. kaibob thread starter macrumors regular

I have copied below the response i received from motionX. I went to the web site mentioned in the email but maps for many areas were missing (e.g. Prescott, AZ). Perhaps I wasn't using the web site correctly.

Thank you for contacting the MotionX Team. It sounds like you may be interested in MotionX-GPS HD. We currently support the downloading of maps for offline use. Please note due to the licensing agreements with our map providers, Onboard Maps and Map Caching are only available for MotionX O-Road and MotionX O-Terrain map types. Our MotionX O-Road maps are based on data from the OpenStreetMap project, and MotionX O-Terrain is likewise based on OpenCycleMap. *Contributors worldwide are expanding coverage every week. *You can check the websites to verify this and see if these map types are sufficient enough. *I have also included our User's Manual here for your reference. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

6. gillybean macrumors 6502a

7. kaibob thread starter macrumors regular

I went ahead and purchased the motionX program which is only $3.00. It does appear to have maps for all of the areas that I need, and the maps are of fairly good quality. Also, you can specify the zoom level or levels of the maps you download, which is a nice feature that reduces storage space and download times. So, I think I'm all set with this. Thanks.

8. kaibob thread starter macrumors regular

I have used the motionX app for a few days now and thought I would report back. Unfortunately, this app will not be as useful for offline use as I had hoped, because:

* I am on a 25 Mb/sec internet connection with tested speeds of 15 Mb/sec on my iPad. Still, it took almost four hours to download 200 MB of maps with the motionX software. I did a bit of googling and this download time is fairly typical.

* The downloaded maps do not include address data, so you cannot search for a street address when offline.

The motionX software generally works well and will be useful to me. Plus, it only costs $3.00. Hopefully, in time an app that comes closer to my needs will be available.