Application for renaming files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by D A, Jan 29, 2009.

1. D A macrumors regular

My problem:

I need to be able to access my photos and other files from other computers than my Mac. To prevent my photos from being overwritten whenever I offload the images from my camera I rename every file to the date the image was taken (down to the second). I then store them in folders divided by month. All these photos are unedited in their raw-format.

So far I haven't found a program on OS X that allows me to rename the files in that way. Automator allows me to add date and time to the files but not remove the original name (DSC_####). I'm too unfamiliar with AppleScript to do anything with it.

In Windows I used FlashRenamer which is very easy to use. It can get basically any option available, anything from file/folder size to EXIF and mp3 tags and date. (To rename my photos to the time they were taken, all I would have to write is "<DATE> <TIME>" and press Rename and I'm done).

So what applications are able to pull date and time from when the photo was taken (either through EXIF or actual file date) and have that as the only name? Currently I use FlashRenamer through Parallels to rename my photos.