application icons on the right

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by orrorin, Mar 8, 2009.

1. orrorin macrumors newbie

I just bought my first Mac (iMac) and am a complete noob to OS X. I installed couple of applications -- skype and firefox -- and now i've these 2 icons on the right side of my desktop. The icons have the logo's of the corresponding applications. I want to know if I can delete these to unclutter and how. If I click on "Finder --> Eject disk", I get the warning "The disk 'skype' is in use and could not be ejected". Did I goof up while installing these apps??

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Those are probably the applications themselves. Drag them to your Applications folder.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It sounds like to me. Did you just drag them to the Desktop to install them?

4. GGGUUUYYY macrumors regular

are they .dmg files?

if so you can delete them once installed

5. Jisuo macrumors 6502

The problem is that you haven't properly installed the programs. Drag them from the .dmg file to the Application folder and then start them from there (or drag it from the Application folder to the Dock to create a shortcut).

Then goto finder and click the eject icon next to the mounted dmg file top left to remove the icon from desktop.

6. orrorin thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

thanks folks for your replies,

the icons went away after i reboot my imac.

7. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Probably with the application inside it. You need to treat .DMGs like they are a disk in your disk drive. You need to take the information off of them (double click the .dmg and drag the information from the .dmg (disk image) then drop it in the relevant folder - which is normally the applications folder). Then you need to eject the dmg by dragging it to the trash (the trash logo will turn into an eject symbol). You can then run that self contained application from the applications folder.

To uninstall simply drag that application to the trash.