Application installation question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JamesMB, Jan 12, 2011.

1. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I've just switched over from a PC to a new MBP, purchased last week, and I'm sure this has been answered, but I can't find it. I have searched the forum, Google, and Mroogle.
    When installing a disk image (.dmg file), I download the file, double click on the file in the download folder, located in the dock, that presents another window with a shortcut to the applications folder, I drag the file to the shortcut, and I get another window that lets me know that OSX is copying files.

Everything in the finder\applications folder looks fine, and I can click on the icon, open and use the app. When I look at the applications folder in the dock, however, the icon is just a sheet of paper with a circle in the middle with a line running through the circle. A reboot seems to correct it, but is that normal to have to reboot after installing a .dmg file to get the icon to show up correctly in the app folder in the dock?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. JamesMB thread starter macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Thanks for the quick reply. I opened and closed the app, but that didn't do it...A restart corrected it. I have installed 4 .dmg files and two of them did that and two of them had the correct icon in the dock folder. I just wanted to make sure that I was doing it the correct way.
    Awesome forum...I have been reading lots of good info that you and and a couple of others link to.
    Thanks again....james

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Logging in and out or restarting Finder will do the same thing. The reason it does that is Mac OS X is calling your attention to the fact that the app is one you downloaded, in case you haven't been careful about what you install. It gives you a visual reminder that this app is new. The same goes for the message you get when you first run an app you downloaded:
    [​IMG]

5. JamesMB thread starter macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Thanks..I relaunched the finder on this last one, and that did it. I really didn't want to do a restart, I'm calibrating the battery per one of your links/posts. I wish that Apple had put something in the little booklet that came with the MBP that says that the battery needs to be calibrated within the first week. The only thing that is in the book is click help for battery calibration.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Page 24 of the MacBook Pro User's Guide:

7. JamesMB thread starter macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Nice book...Mine came with a user guide labeled "Everything Mac". Page 33 says "Caring for battery".."Mac HELP and search for battery".

8. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Yes, the MBP manual isn't printed anymore, there's just a small booklet. Suggest you peruse the PDF manual.

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, while it's "normal", it shouldn't happen. What's happening is that the Dock isn't recognizing the apps icon, which it usually will after launch. Restarting your computer to get an icon to correctly appear on the Dock is not desired behavior though, even though it's harmless. I'm a little surprised Apple hasn't dealt with it yet, however, because it is kinda annoying. I guess one reason they're not worrying too much is because that problem is non-existent with the Mac App Store, but that obviously doesn't apply to why they haven't fixed it previously. Probably just low on the priorities list.

jW

10. JamesMB, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2011

JamesMB thread starter macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Yeah, I saved the MBP user guide that GGStudios provided.. Much better than the pamphlet that mine came with.

That's prolly why I couldn't find it when I searched for it.

I am really impressed with this OS. i have been using Microsoft since before Windows, used some Unix when I worked for Bell Labs, and the GUI for OSX is amazing in its simplicity. I keep trying to do things in OSX the hard way....I've just about worn out the help "button". Most of the things that I have found on this site, are in help, but the few days that I have spent reading and searching this site have been a great learning resource.