Application installations and multiple users

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Let's Sekuhara!, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Let's Sekuhara! macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

This is something that has always boggled me.

How are applications handled for multiple users? Do I need to install each app twice if I have two users on a computer? Or is there a checkbox somewhere that I need to check as the administrator to make an app show up for another user? Or is each app different case-by-case?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Standard users can run any application that doesn't require privilege escalation.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Generally, apps are available to all users. No need to install an app multiple times. Preferences, however, are stored for each user.

4. Let's Sekuhara! thread starter macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

Cool. OK, that makes sense. Almost too simple :p

Just out of curiosity though, what if you wanted an app to not be available to a user? Wait, let me guess - just move it from Applications to a folder only accessible to that user?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

A few of my professors only have standard accounts in their departments. They complained a lot about not being able to install applications into /Applications. I told them their ~/Desktop is a good a place as any. ;)

6. lordthistle macrumors 6502

You can have problems with licences in some applications when running multiple users.

I have recently bought two applications and was forced to insert the serial twice. Once as administrator and once as normal user (I have two distinct accounts on my notebook).

You can create a new group via System Preferences. By adding only selected users to it, you can obtain a finer granularity in permissions.

Otherwise, you can download the Mac OS Server Admin Tools and have the all the power you want ;-)

thistle

7. durija macrumors 6502

I think that if you install an app in a particular user folder, only that user can access the app.

I use it to play a game as multiple people. I have multiple user accounts. I install the app on each user, then play as 1, 2, or 3 by switching between user accounts. You can't exactly hold a rapid fire conversation, but you can fool people in the game, so they don't realize the two or three people they see are controlled by one player.