application installers not opening

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BraveHat, Apr 16, 2011.

1. BraveHat macrumors newbie

Hi, lately when I download .dmg installers from the internet, and then click on the icon for the app, the icon will bounce on my doc for a few seconds and then close up and disappear, and no installation process occurs. I have a Mac OSX 10.4.11 macbook. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks :)

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you made sure the applications are compatible with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Are you dragging the app icon to your Applications folder before you double-click them? Or are they install packages that you need to launch, in order to install the app? Can you give an example of an app you're trying to install?

4. BraveHat thread starter macrumors newbie

Sims, I've started googling info and it does look like most apps nowadays require OS X 10.5 or higher. I've been meaning to upgrade anyway, so I will do that and see if the problem still persists....

Thanks

5. simsaladimbamba

Normally the requirements are listed on the page you download the applications from. If you want to upgrade, you can use the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD for 29 USD, no need to use the Mac Box Set, as the Upgrade DVD will work and doesn't need any prior Mac OS X installed, thus it does not scan for 10.5 and tells you, you can't upgrade, because you have 10.4.