Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gjc4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2014
I bought GTA San Andreas for my macbook pro mid 2014. It was working fine at first, but after closing the application and re-opening it, it would open and I could hear the audio playing in the background and I could even make screen selections using the keyboard, but the desktop would be showing. I tried everything from force quitting the app, restarting the computer, and even reinstalling the game all together... but it still does not show the game. I'm thinking it must be a simple fix but I can't find anything like this online. Thanks for your help,

Greg

Last edited:

gjc4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2014
Do you change some display setting? If so, you can restore to defaults and then try again. If it does not work, you may update the graphics driver to have a try.

Gave that a shot with no success. :(

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Is your game appearing on another desktop?
Could be that your game launches by default to full screen, but is not using the desktop that is visible right now. Try a 3-finger swipe to right or left which should move you to other desktops (if they exist at this moment)
Or, you can check your Mission Control app, which will show all windows and other desktops.

You can also hold down the mouse button on the Dock icon for your game.
The menu may help you decide how the windows appear, and may let you select the game window. Choosing Options might help here, too.

gjc4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2014
Is your game appearing on another desktop?
Could be that your game launches by default to full screen, but is not using the desktop that is visible right now. Try a 3-finger swipe to right or left which should move you to other desktops (if they exist at this moment)
Or, you can check your Mission Control app, which will show all windows and other desktops.

You can also hold down the mouse button on the Dock icon for your game.
The menu may help you decide how the windows appear, and may let you select the game window. Choosing Options might help here, too.

Tried that before, only using one desktop. The application shows its opened and the task bar changes to Grand Theft Auto, but the desktop still shows. When I go to mission control, the game is invisible, but when I move my mouse over the area it should be, the area turns blue to show that the app is actually open.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Tried that before, only using one desktop. The application shows its opened and the task bar changes to Grand Theft Auto, but the desktop still shows. ...

Taskbar (?)
I guess you mean the menu bar.
Are there other menus, such as File, or View?
I know some apps will only display the Apple menu, and the app menu itself, with the choice to Quit, for example. But do other menus appear, to provide a way to go Full Screen (or leave full screen, maybe?) Or, maybe a File/Open menu - or some other choices in the menus?

Are there any updates for the GTA-SA app, with possible fixes for issues with Yosemite?

gjc4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2014
Yeah, menu bar lol (first macintosh computer). There are no options other than clicking "Grand Theft Auto San Andreas" which gives me options: "about GTA", quit, and hide. The other option is "Window" and allows me to "Bring All to Front". Tried clicking that with no success..

I tried running the console and think I found the possible issue.

It said: 2014-12-25 4:09:40.076 PM cider[425]: -[VideoController setFullScreen:](): exception occurred while switching video modes: Unable to get display mode for resolution 1680 x 1050 and depth 32.

I could not for the life of me find a way to reset the resolution settings, not even through a clean install. UGH, this is starting to become a real pain in the a$$.

gjc4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2014
OK I FIXED IT, FINALLY.

Well, basically after hours of frustration, I basically had to change the resolution settings of the game WITHOUT seeing it on the screen. I would hear the audio feedback when I moved up and down and made a selection. I used some pictures online for a reference of how far to move and when to press enter. Basically, right when I lowered the resolution settings, the game popped up. DANG, such an "easy" solution yet there was nothing online about it.

Thank you for your help everyone. Much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.