Application Issues On Yosemite - Nothing Opens!

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by bushido, Jul 27, 2015.

1. bushido Suspended

bushido

Hi,

a friend of mine has issues with her macbook pro on Yosemite. Quicktime and iTunes do not open anymore as well as teamviewer and chrome. when she tries to get to apple icon > "about this mac" nothing opens either

any idea?

edit: MAS isnt opening either so we cant actually see if theres an update

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hard to say without more info. Has she installed anything lately that may have caused this, or did it just come out of nowhere?

There would not be any App Store updates that would cure this.

Do other apps launch okay?

It almost sounds like a failing drive. Can she do a command-r boot to recovery and from there use Disk Utility to verify the drive?

3. bushido thread starter Suspended

bushido

I just tried to fix permissions using disk utility but it gave me this error:

"Disk Utility stopped verifying this Macintosh Hdd"

"This disk needs to be repaired using recovery HD"

(I know awesome "Screenshot" )

I honestly think her Hdd might be dying

Attached Files:

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Be sure to try Repair Disk (different from Repair Disk Permissions) while you are booted to the recovery system.
    A permissions repair almost never fixes anything significant, unless you are actually having a permissions problem.

6. Significant1 macrumors 6502

Have you tried restarting the machine?

edit: Yeah, try the repair in disk utility. It doesn't, have to mean it is dying.

7. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Try to back up important files before doing anything else. The HD could fail at any time and the Disk Repair could push the HD over the edge.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

OP>> Good point by @CoastalOR, and that is why I suggested only doing a verify disk and not repair disk. Get your data off there now before you do anything else.

9. bushido thread starter Suspended

bushido

thanks guys. we manually made a back up of her files and just reinstalled the OS as new using recovery. so far so good and no more error. no idea what initinally caused the problem tho

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You might want to encourage her to keep up with the backups, because I still think that drive is dying. Something like this should not just spontaneously happen.

11. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Weaselboy is right about the backup thing.

Encourage her to get an external USB drive, and get her set up with at least Time Machine.

I happen to like CarbonCopyCloner to create a cloned and bootable backup drive. SuperDuper can do this as well.

Having a cloned AND bootable backup around will make it VERY easy to get going again, if her drive is indeed "growin' old" ....

12. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Depending on what model the MBP is, the "dying HDD" could be the cable failing rather than the drive itself.