"Application Mail cancelled shutdown"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kingal2004, Jun 6, 2010.

1. kingal2004 macrumors newbie

Whenever - or at least 90% of the time - I try to shutdown my MacBook Pro, I get the message "Application Mail cancelled shutdown" and so it is, my Laptop won't shut down. Whats wrong with that? (I searched the forum and found this thread http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/143729-cant-shut-down-imac.html , but it actually only explains how to shut OSX down but not how to avoid the problem)
    I read on the net that several people had this problem with a prog called "uTorrent", and the solution found on the net was to update your OSX to 10.5.x or later. I'm on 10.0.3 so :confused: ?

I'd greatly appreciate help on this annoying prob.
    thx alex

2. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

The first thing I'd have you do is go to Apple Menu/About This Mac and find out what version you're actually running. If you're really on 10.0.3, then I doubt if anyone can help you wade through that mess of an OS. ;)

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Either force quit Mail or upgrade to the newest OS.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you quit Mail (CMD+Q)?

And you're on Mac OS X 10.6.3 I suppose, as 10.0.3 from 2001 isn't able to run on MBPs.

5. kingal2004 thread starter macrumors newbie

sry, clearly I'm on 10.6.3 as "spinnerlys" assumed right.
    The thing is that after I ordered the OSX to shut down I get the msg "Application Mail cancelled shutdown", and after this msg CMD+Q doesn't work for Mail anymore, same as File->Quit Mail (The option is "grayed out").

@Peace: That's my everyday solution to force quit, but I'd rather have it been quit by the OS, like all the other progs....

Any ideas on how to solve it, or why it actually occurs?

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Have you tried asking it nicely? :p

7. kingal2004 thread starter macrumors newbie

@ rdowns: you may be right...i'll ask him to shut down without sending me stupid msgs tonight!

8. chown33 macrumors 604

Open the Activity window (Window menu, Activity). See if Mail is trying to connect, send, receive, whatever.

9. kingal2004 thread starter macrumors newbie

thx chown I'll try that. but am I the only one expiriencing this problem?

10. txguy macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, May 21, 2016 ---
    I am on El Capitan, MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
    I have that issue also.
    Most of the time I need to force quit mail to shut down.

11. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Mail in Mavericks, for me, nearly always quits extremely quickly.

Next time you find Mail in Yosemite taking too long to quit, view the Activity window to tell what's occurring. The content within that window is often muddled but for slow quits, the content should give you a rough idea.

12. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

You're not the only one. I definitely see it maybe once a month and have through several OS versions, on a handful of different Macs (MBP, cMP, iMac). If it happened more often I'd get to work trying to figure it out. It's an annoyance that I just let go.

13. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Command Option Escape opens a "force quit" dialog in Finder. (It's in the Apple Menu, under recent items.)
    Use it on Mail.

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

10.0.3, not 10.10.3 (although it was a typo of 10.6.3). Nothing to do with Yosemite in any case :)