Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingal2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Whenever - or at least 90% of the time - I try to shutdown my MacBook Pro, I get the message "Application Mail cancelled shutdown" and so it is, my Laptop won't shut down. Whats wrong with that? (I searched the forum and found this thread http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/143729-cant-shut-down-imac.html , but it actually only explains how to shut OSX down but not how to avoid the problem)
I read on the net that several people had this problem with a prog called "uTorrent", and the solution found on the net was to update your OSX to 10.5.x or later. I'm on 10.0.3 so :confused: ?

I'd greatly appreciate help on this annoying prob.
thx alex

Marty Macfly

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
The first thing I'd have you do is go to Apple Menu/About This Mac and find out what version you're actually running. If you're really on 10.0.3, then I doubt if anyone can help you wade through that mess of an OS. ;)

kingal2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
sry, clearly I'm on 10.6.3 as "spinnerlys" assumed right.
The thing is that after I ordered the OSX to shut down I get the msg "Application Mail cancelled shutdown", and after this msg CMD+Q doesn't work for Mail anymore, same as File->Quit Mail (The option is "grayed out").

@Peace: That's my everyday solution to force quit, but I'd rather have it been quit by the OS, like all the other progs....

Any ideas on how to solve it, or why it actually occurs?

kingal2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
@ rdowns: you may be right...i'll ask him to shut down without sending me stupid msgs tonight!

kingal2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
thx chown I'll try that. but am I the only one expiriencing this problem?

txguy

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2013
thx chown I'll try that. but am I the only one expiriencing this problem?
[doublepost=1463839982][/doublepost]I am on El Capitan, MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
I have that issue also.
Most of the time I need to force quit mail to shut down.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… 10.0.3 …

Mail in Mavericks, for me, nearly always quits extremely quickly.

Next time you find Mail in Yosemite taking too long to quit, view the Activity window to tell what's occurring. The content within that window is often muddled but for slow quits, the content should give you a rough idea.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
You're not the only one. I definitely see it maybe once a month and have through several OS versions, on a handful of different Macs (MBP, cMP, iMac). If it happened more often I'd get to work trying to figure it out. It's an annoyance that I just let go.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Command Option Escape opens a "force quit" dialog in Finder. (It's in the Apple Menu, under recent items.)
Use it on Mail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.