Application Opening Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kikobarbada, Jun 30, 2007.

1. kikobarbada macrumors regular

Hello.

Last week I bought a white Macbook 2.16ghz 2gb ram 160hd and it appeared to be working fine. However, it is now slow to turn it on - it takes about 40 seconds, which is too much; plus sometimes when I leave stuff open when shut the computer down, when I turn it back on everything opens again.

Thanks, Kiko.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Which apps are you using? How are you shutting it down? If you're just closing the lid then it's no wonder everything remains up when you open the lid 'cause you're sleeping the machine. If this isn't the case, then what do you have in your Login Items in System Preferences (check the Accounts pane) and also do you have items in a folder named StartupItems in your Library? While we're at it, open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder, check All Processes and sort them by CPU percentage and then by Real Memory. Is there anything here that's taking up an unusual amount of your resources compared with the other processes? Finally, how much free space do you have on your boot drive? :)

3. kikobarbada thread starter macrumors regular

Apple apps, Adium, Skype, Adobe Web Premium CS3(photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver), and other basic stuff.

I press the power button phisically, and then click shut down.

In Login items, I have nothing 'cause I have deleted it all and in StartupItems I have nothing inside too for the same reason.

kernel_task is using 150mb (no idea what it is - I assume its the OS) but besides that, its normal.

The drive is 149GB, with 34GB free.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, no luck there... Open Disk Utility in the Utilities folder and verify your drive. The repair button will be greyed out, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. During verification it's normal for your computer to freeze for a while. :)

5. kikobarbada thread starter macrumors regular

The hard drive is working perfectly, no luck there. I am really grateful for your help and I think the world is still alive because of people like you, mad jew.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone here can help me in either one of my problems and I'll probably have to call Apple Support and they will tell me to re-install Mac OS X.

Anyway, thanks and please reply with more options, Kiko.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Haha, thanks mate. I haven't done anything good yet though...

Open Console in the Utilities folder and check the crash logs. It's unlikely, but hopefully it has picked something up. Also, create a new user account and see if things're slow there too. This'll test if there's a problem inherent in your current Home folder. Hopefully whatever the problem is, it'll get fixed soon. :)

7. kikobarbada thread starter macrumors regular

Tried new account, nothing. In console, it came up this for about 100 lines: SystemFlippers: didn't consume all data for vers ID 1 (pBase = 0x1a204940, p = 0x1a20496e, pEnd = 0x1a204976)

Is that a problem of any kind?

8. kikobarbada thread starter macrumors regular

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

10. kikobarbada thread starter macrumors regular

Perhaps it's my Office 2004. Strange, because my other macbook 2.0ghz 1gb ram doesnt have this problem.