Application Request: Icon Hider

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by GfPQqmcRKUvP, Jul 12, 2008.

1. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Badandy with an application request for all you developers. As a preface, I don't know if this is possible in the current SDK, but I'll try to throw out some ideas where maybe a work around could be created.

I hate the contacts icon, and I don't need the stock icon anymore since I replaced it with the Bloomberg application. I moved those two (and more to come I'm sure) over to an empty home screen after the ones for the apps I use.

So, I'd like an application that takes icons that you don't use, or don't want on your homescreen, and puts them into one folder-like icon that you can place somewhere. Sure, that's still one icon you might not use all the time, but it would help unclutter your homescreens by allowing many icons to be condensed into one.

Maybe a way built upon the following premise could work?

-Trick the phone into allowing two or more icons to be placed in the same physical space, then have yours rise to the forefront through whatever convention OSX Mobile uses (alphabetical etc...)

There also has to be a way to get the icons out of it and back onto the homescreen.

Remember, I don't know if this is possible, but I, personally, would pay about $4.99 for an application like this, and maybe others would too.

What do you all (developers and normal MR users) think?

2. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Applications can only modify their own directory (and a couple of areas in the operating system).

They have no direct access to the home screen, so it wouldn't be possible officially to hide icons, group, etc.

Of course this is possible with a jailbreak.