Application Shortcuts not working?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kwijbo, Mar 18, 2012.

1. kwijbo macrumors regular

This is a really simple question, but it appears that when I try to add new application shortcuts in System Preferences they don't work. I'd like to get the Calculator to work but I've tried a few other programs and they don't work either. What am I missing?

2. TheAppleSource macrumors regular

TheAppleSource

I may well be wrong, but I don't think there is a native way to launch applications with keyboard shortcuts. The application shortcuts bit in System Preferences > Keyboard is to do with shortcuts that you can use when you're already in the given app.

If you want to setup keyboard shortcuts to launch apps though, you can download (and buy) Apptivate from the app store, or if you'd prefer a free option, you can try the following (from Mac OS X Hints):

To do so, create a Service using Automator with a single action to launch an application. Set the conditions of this service to receive "no input," and make it available in all applications. Save the Service and create a shortcut to it on the Keyboard Shortcuts tab of the Keyboard System Preferences panel.

Note that the shortcut will not work in apps (Firefox, for one) that don't support Services.