Application shuts down right after launching

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slackerify, May 29, 2011.

1. slackerify macrumors newbie

This may be the wrong thread, if so please redirect me to the right one!

I have a disturbing problem which related to installing of application on my very first mac. The model specification is MacBookPro (early 2011), 2.2 GHz i7, OS X 10.6.7.

Yesterday I bought a mac-compatible game through Steam's application, it downloaded completely and then I was given the possibility to "Start game". Whether I start it inside the Steam application or go to it's downloaded folder, the game (or application) pops up in the dock for a split second (I can see the accurate icon) and then disappear.

I have searched in other forums and people do have some problems with this game; Splinter Cell Conviction. However they manage to at least install it, I dont. Ergo I cannot benefit from their solutions. I figure I should make my case to the Steam support, though I have had my mac for approximately three month and I remember this "problem" has happened to me before - Application show up in dock but then disappear and nothing happens.

So, I am asking this question in a mac expertise forum in the application direction, this occurrence must have happened before regardless the type of application. What can I do to avoid this error?

Thank you for any suggestions, as well as understanding my questionable english and posting in the wrong section.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

I would start by looking at the console log to see what messages pop up when you try to start the game.

3. slackerify thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi!

With the console open I found that nothing happens when trying to open the .app outside of the Steam software. With that software opened, connected to the internet, logged in to my Steam-account I get the attached log.[​IMG]

As I stated, I am no expert, I had trouble finding the console :rolleyes: Still I get the notion that this problem related to "connecting" to Steam which is strange since you are able to use the Steam software in offline-mode. (Nothing happens while trying to install or "Start game" offline using the Steam software.)

Can you tell me what the log means? Thanks!

Attached Files:

4. slackerify thread starter macrumors newbie

Solution!

I thought there might be a general solution for this problem (since I am a mac newbie) and therefor was looking for ideas on how to fix it. Exactly this solution probably wont apply to a completely different "application who shuts down right after launching", but I thought I would complete this thread anyways.

This "solution" was found over at Steam and regarded my problem with the Ubisoft/Steam -game Splinter Cell Conviction.
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1909042 All credit should go to the user ashrafkk who helped me with this issue.

Thanks and god luck!