Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pica93

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
Is there any application aviable on the app store that is like netshare.

It allows you to use your iphone data connection and share it over wireless.

Is there any other way of doing this, without paying o2 £10 extra for it!

cheers

elmancho

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
Paris, France
Is there any application aviable on the app store that is like netshare.

It allows you to use your iphone data connection and share it over wireless.

Is there any other way of doing this, without paying o2 £10 extra for it!

cheers

In cupertino do as the cupetinoes do, jailbrake :)

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I was tempted to, but is there no other way i can keep it locked, and download the netshare app from anywhere?

Jailbreaking != unlocking. And, no, Apple isn't about to approve an app that allows you to violate the terms of your O2 contract. And unjailbroken phones can't install any apps not approved by Apple. That's kinda the point of jailbreaking.

pica93

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
Jailbreaking != unlocking. And, no, Apple isn't about to approve an app that allows you to violate the terms of your O2 contract. And unjailbroken phones can't install any apps not approved by Apple. That's kinda the point of jailbreaking.

Is it possible to jailbreak it. Install the applications i need. Then Unjailbreak it back to normal and use the apps?

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I was tempted to, but is there no other way i can keep it locked, and download the netshare app from anywhere?

You can jailbreak it without unlocking it (if that's what you meant by "locked" above). Just jb it and buy PDANet or Mywi.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Is it possible to jailbreak it. Install the applications i need. Then Unjailbreak it back to normal and use the apps?

Jailbreaking is what allows your phone to run non-approved code. There is no other way to do that. But why are you so worried about having your phone jailbroken? All jailbreaking does is give you root access to your filesystem.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Then either don't install SSH (it isn't installed automatically) or, if you do, change your root and mobile passwords. This whole thing applies only to people who chose to install an app to turn their phone into an SSH server, who left it running at all times, and who didn't bother to take the very basic security precaution of setting a new password. As usual, it's getting blown way out of proportion by a media that has no clue about technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.