application software updates

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tech198, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Hi all.

When ever i plug my Mac laptop into power outlet first time after installing OS, I get a popup about wanting to install any application updates (in this case updating iTunes to 12.3)

If i click "remind me tomorrow" is this separate from the "Automatically check for updates" in app store settings in system preferences?

WHat i mean is, if I uncheck "Automatically check for updates" in app store system preferences, would that prevails over any application updates, or would i still get bugged when i attach to power ?

I do not want to update itunes because of issues with both Apple music, and general other itunes related issues.

I guess now i have the popup, there is no way to get rid of it..

If the Automatically check for updates option *does* even disable app updates even with power attached on Macbook Pro, then i will reinstall the OS and set accordingly. Since the popup restricts view of the screen, or i can forever keep clicking "remind me tomorrow" :p

2. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

Disabling "Automatically check for updates" means Mac will not notify you of any updates. It will get rid of all popups regarding app updates.

Downside is that it also covers important updates such as OS X updates, Security Updates, etc.
    If you disable the setting you will have to manually check and install such updates from Software updates tab in App Store.

Its up to you to decide if disabling it is worth it. I recommend that if you do disable it turn it back on occasionally so Mac can update its malware definitions (Mprotect), etc.

3. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

ok thanks,,, will this option prevail going forward, or would it effect immediately .... aka on the pop up i click "remind me tomorrow" .. in the meantime i uncheck Automatically check for updates. since technically although the pop says "install" it does NOT say download, however since an update is available in the store, it is technically not downloaded yet is it ? ... Apple's wording aka.

4. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

It will take effect immediately.

As for downloads it will depend on if you have selected "download updates on the background" or not. If it's not selected then Mac will only notify you and will only download updates after you accept them. If its selected then all updates will be downloaded and Mac will install them at the same time when you select "install now".