Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aquis

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Staffordshire, UK
After having my app in review for a week, I've just got some feedback.
To review your application for the App Store, we need to be able to access a fully functional demo account.

There is no way within the app or within the settings to change the location to the specified coordinates to review xxx.

Please upload a new binary & provide login information in the "Demo Account Information" section.

Regards,

iPhone Developer Program

Now the thing is, there are no "accounts" in it. The app is designed to "automatically activate" when you're at a certain location (using GPS) and make available extra functionality (functionality which doesn't really apply if you're not at the aforementioned location). I did anticipate this might pose a problem for the reviewers, which is why I clearly stated that some of the functionality is not available unless you are at a certain location. I even provided a few example coordinates, hoping they could use them to override the positions and thus test the location-based features.

I'm at a loss with what to do, should I just attempt to resubmit the binary and give a much clearer explanation? I don't want to keep submitting it, only for it to be rejected every week!

jnic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Cambridge
I'd say either add a "secret" menu that allows you to override coordinates by entering them manually, or just don't tell them that the functionality changes with location!

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
The app is designed to "automatically activate" when you're at a certain location (using GPS) and make available extra functionality (functionality which doesn't really apply if you're not at the aforementioned location).
The problem is, how can they review that extra functionality without being in one of those special locations? Because in order for your app to be approved, they really want to be able to see all the functionality so they can check it against their restrictions.

Aquis

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Staffordshire, UK
The problem is, how can they review that extra functionality without being in one of those special locations? Because in order for your app to be approved, they really want to be able to see all the functionality so they can check it against their restrictions.

Well, I was expecting them to be able to override the locations to test GPS features; I did provide a few example locations. I mean... how do they test all the other GPS apps? Sure, most of them just do something with your current location, but I'm pretty sure (although none come to mind) that there must be several apps which require you to be in certain positions to do extra stuff?

More specifically, my app basically makes available several options, such as "what's nearby", when you're there. If you're not there, it makes perfect sense for these options to be unavailable.

I'll probably ring them at some point, see if I can work something out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.