Application that analyses hard drive and lists which folders/files are largest?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by samtasticra, Aug 23, 2010.

1. samtasticra macrumors newbie

Aug 22, 2010
    hey all,
    I'm planning to move across to a Mac Pro (from a Macbook). I'll be keeping my Macbook, for live audio work. But I want to clear all the clutter off it, while keeping all of the audio work I have on it.

I was just thinking about the stuff I have on my HD, and I'm not really sure what is eating up the 500gb HD I have installed in it (with only 50gb or so available at the moment). The usual culprits (iTunes and iPhoto library) are both on externals.

And i don't *think* I've got nearly 450gb worth of audio work on here.

So my question is, is there an application that will scan through my system HD and tell me which folders/files are taking up the most space? This may give me some idea of what I should start getting rid of.

I've tried searching, but I'm not really sure what term I should be looking for.

2. samtasticra thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 22, 2010
    That was a really quick reply. D/Ling now : )
  3. samtasticra thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 22, 2010
    That was exactly what i wanted : )

Turns out I don't have nearly 450gb of music stuff, but i do have over 300gb. Didn't realise it was so much!

There's a massive Ableton Cache that Im a bit suspect of. Seems to have duplicated 16gb worth of complete tracks that I have in a particular Ableton folder only.

Might head over to the ableton forums and see if this folder is really essential...

thanks for that. exactly the app i was after : )
  4. Ohmsford macrumors newbie

Aug 18, 2010
    I really like DaisyDisk. There is a free trial, and the application continues to function after the trial period. It just has a banner saying "Expired" or something similar while you are using it.

I haven't used any other applications for this purpose, so I can't compare, but its a small download to try for a bit.