Application that analyses hard drive and lists which folders/files are largest?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by samtasticra, Aug 23, 2010.

1. samtasticra macrumors newbie

hey all,
    I'm planning to move across to a Mac Pro (from a Macbook). I'll be keeping my Macbook, for live audio work. But I want to clear all the clutter off it, while keeping all of the audio work I have on it.

I was just thinking about the stuff I have on my HD, and I'm not really sure what is eating up the 500gb HD I have installed in it (with only 50gb or so available at the moment). The usual culprits (iTunes and iPhoto library) are both on externals.

And i don't *think* I've got nearly 450gb worth of audio work on here.

So my question is, is there an application that will scan through my system HD and tell me which folders/files are taking up the most space? This may give me some idea of what I should start getting rid of.

I've tried searching, but I'm not really sure what term I should be looking for.

Cheers

2. samtasticra thread starter macrumors newbie

That was a really quick reply. D/Ling now : )

3. samtasticra thread starter macrumors newbie

That was exactly what i wanted : )

Turns out I don't have nearly 450gb of music stuff, but i do have over 300gb. Didn't realise it was so much!

There's a massive Ableton Cache that Im a bit suspect of. Seems to have duplicated 16gb worth of complete tracks that I have in a particular Ableton folder only.

Might head over to the ableton forums and see if this folder is really essential...

thanks for that. exactly the app i was after : )

4. Ohmsford macrumors newbie

I really like DaisyDisk. There is a free trial, and the application continues to function after the trial period. It just has a banner saying "Expired" or something similar while you are using it.

I haven't used any other applications for this purpose, so I can't compare, but its a small download to try for a bit.