Application to AVCHD editing?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by szkodnikPL, Feb 22, 2012.

1. szkodnikPL macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a huge problem. My camera records video in AVCHD, and I need a paid program for amateur video editing. My budget is around $ 100. What do you recommend?

Best regards from Poland. :)

2. simsaladimbamba

3. szkodnikPL thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't remember where I heard iMovie is not good to AVCHD editing. Is there another program to AVCHD editing and it costs max $100?

4. simsaladimbamba

iMovie can do that, you just need to transcode the footage during import (which iMovie will do automatically), but if you want CPU intensive editing all the time (AVCHD is highly compressed, thus the CPU has to decode the stream during playback and frame precise editing, therefore AVCHD footage is not meant for editing), you can take a look at Premiere Elements (don't know the price) or the Advanced Search feature on top of every forum page.

5. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

I just picked up Premiere Elements 10 from Best Buy for $75 (on sale). It supports AVCHD format. I haven't given it a try yet (bought it last night), but I had Elements 7 and loved it. The problem I had with iMovie was its constant converting from MP4 (the format I was using at the time) to MOV before letting me work on it, which took over 30 minutes on a 4 minute clip. That was unacceptable as that was the shortest of my footage, the rest were over 20 minutes long. iMovie would have taken hours to convert it.

OP, I would give Premiere Elements a try, you can get a demo on Adobe's website to see how you like it before buying.