Application to consolidate / sort documents over multiple HDs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Djfremen, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Djfremen macrumors newbie

First and foremost thanks for reading this.

I have 7 hard drives connected to the same mac. Some are PC hard drives others Snow Leopard, Lion and ML drives.

I'm looking to consolidate the good stuff from these 7 drives and onto a 16TB raid set I have.

I was thinking of ChronoSync but it will copy the entire partition, such as OS library files, ect and I only want the "good stuff" like Photos, Word Docs, Movies, Music.

Anyone know an application where I can setup rules (only find Pictures) and then have a copy command (copy to 16TB partition in pictures backup folder)? Then place this script in a container / batch to run overnight?

I'm just not looking forward to do this the old fashioned way...

Thanks.

2. Bear macrumors G3

Are the interesting files contained in user folders and/or a limited number of known folders on the source drives? If so, I suggest you copy that stuff over to the raid array and then either by hand or with scripts move the contents to a better location on the raid array.

No matter what you do, you're going to have to do the final cleanup by hand. And unless you were very messy with file locations, you really don't need scripts to copy the interesting stuff over.

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

You can try something like Hazel. http://www.noodlesoft.com/hazel.php. Try offer a free trial. I haven't used it but saw a recommendation for it in a paperless organization book.

4. Djfremen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses. It's funny you mention Hazel, Glen. It came up in my googling of the subject.

I also was thinking of a modified migration assistant but yes, it sounds like I'm going to have to do the majority by hand.

It's just pictures land in a few places (desktop sort folders, pictures folder, specific documents folders, canon offload folders) and it would be great to have them all land in the same place.

I think I'll proceed with Finder > find Type > Picture - then copy that list to the array. Just not sure how exhaustive it is in locating everything on a specific drive - I honestly feel that spotlight is half-baked at best.