Application to download/queue a file (.NZB in particular) to another computer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Doju, May 29, 2010.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

Here's the situation: I have a MacBook Pro and a Mac mini that is the home theatre centre of the house, constantly being used.

If we want to watch a movie later that night, and they're watching TV now, that's not possible. I'd have to pause the movie, go and download the file and be off.

Is there anyway I could do this from another computer (not talking VNC, I'd still have to pause the movie) remotely? Like, click download then "send" that file to a folder on another computer?

2. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You could use something like TeamViewer to control the other Mac and start the download. To do it without any involvement of the other computer, you'd have to download it to yours, then transfer the downloaded file to the other computer.

4. Middling macrumors regular

For .nzbs you can simply use SABnzbd+.

Set it up on your Mac mini to listen not on the localhost but on the network address of the computer (and make sure the port it is listening on isn't blocked by the mini's firewall).

You will then be able to connect via your web browser on the MacBook Pro and upload .nzbs to the mini which will download the resulting binary.

Transmission also supports remote access via a web browser, so you could also set up the same thing for torrents.