application to extract thumbnails

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nitzer51, Oct 21, 2008.

1. nitzer51 macrumors newbie

is there an application for leopard that allows you to extract a picture from a jpeg thumbnail?

for example i my friend edited a photo of my in MS paint with a mustash and beard (real childish) anyway, the photo thumbnail on my mac shows the regular picture without the MS paint on it. is there an application that can extract the metadata of the photo?

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

what do you mean?

The finder thumbnail shows the original unedited picture?

What are you trying to accomplish? Did he save over the old picture, and you want the original back?

Personally, I would make the finder window as big as possible, and screen shot it. (Command+Shift+3 by default). Open the picture that appears on your desktop (which will be a picture of your entire screen) and highlight just the thumbnail (make a square around it).

Select "crop" from one of the menus, or hit Command+K), and it will cut out everything but what you selected - leaving the picture by itself. Simply Save it, and you're done.

As for metadata, you'll probably have to re-input it if you make a screen shot. I don't know how, as I never use metadata, or even know what program to properly see it. I have digital camera shots, and even internet saved pictures that I attempted to view metadata on, but everything is blank so I assume I'm doing it wrong.

note: I use the included preview.app to do the cropping. For regular viewing, I use "just looking".

3. nitzer51 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes ithe finder shows the unedited image, and yes i am trying to get the original image, if i do a screen shot the image will only be about an inch big. i dont know much about computers but i feel like if the original unedited image is being displayed in the finder there has to be a way to get it back

4. emt1 macrumors 65816

5. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

my way would extract the thumbnail, not the original image.

sometimes by increasing the finder window size, you can make the thumbnail larger, but only by so much. Making a screen shot and cropping it will output a file the same size as the thumbnail was. (it may appear small on the initial screen shot, even after you crop it, but once you save it, it will be the same size as it was on your screen)

This may be the only way, as the original was written over.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Sounds painful…
    :eek: