Application to sync Mail between two Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Halcyon, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Halcyon macrumors 6502

I'm looking for an application that will be able to effectively sync my emails (I use Mail) between my iMac and my MacBook. I use either machine to download my mails and I would like to have all mails in both machines at the end of the day, or the week, or whenever I decide to sync them.

I tried Chronosync but I couldn't get it to work the way I need it (For instance, it will sync the Inbox with the latest/newest one...even if the the other one had newer mails - yes, it can happen). Maybe I just don't no all the in and outs of this app and some one can steer me in the right direction.

In the meantime I've resorted to leaving a copy in the server for a week after downloading message, that way I'm almost certain I will have all messages in both computers...but it also means downloading everything twice.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I just realized that what I've stated above as a temporary solution only works for incoming mails and won't work for any mails that I send.

2. Corrado33 macrumors member

This isn't a program, but if you're willing to pay for it MobileMe does exactly this. (As well as many other things.)

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/

If you're not into that, I'd say keeping the e-mail on the server until you download it both places is the way to go. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

3. Halcyon thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I've already considered the MobileMe option and it will be a last resort. If I find something that works I'll update the thread.

Thanks.

4. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Can you switch your email server (and client) to IMAP? That's one way to solve the problem.

5. Corrado33 macrumors member

If his e-mail server didn't work with IMAP, he could simply forward all of his e-mails to gmail, and use Mail with gmail and IMAP. Just my 2 cents.

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yep

gmail or mobileme

imap is what you're looking to do.

7. Halcyon thread starter macrumors 6502

My mail server does support IMAP and I'm looking into it right now. But how about outgoing mails? If i send mail from Mac 1 how can I automatically get a copy of that mail into Mac 2?

Mobile seems to work only for the xxx@me.com mail account and for only one additional "external" POP account...I have like 6 POP accounts.

What I'm looking for is total automatic sync and probably that is just an utopic state as of now.

8. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

9. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

IMAP should sync all folders.