Application to Turn Off MBP monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by miralize, Jul 11, 2009.

1. miralize macrumors member

Hey guys,

Recently bought a 13" MB(P) and I love it.

The problem I'm having is, I have it connected to my external monitor and i have to use the clamshell mode to turn the mbp monitor off. Is there any application to speed up the process? Its annoying having to turn it off and turning it back on with aUSB device or my Mighty Mouse.

Thanks

Sean

2. åidån Guest

New Zealand
    It's simple, and may not be up to your needs, but try; System Preferences > Exposé > Active Screen Corners.

There you can Sleep Display with a screen corner.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

As stated above, there is no other way.

Because of the OS once the internal display is in play , its in play for good until sleep/shutdown.

If you didn't already know you can cold boot the machine and then immediately close the lid and it will revert only to the external display.

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Wasn't there a key command to sleep the monitor, but leave the computer running?

I can't remember what it is, gah, I need to use these commands I learn more.

5. g3funk macrumors member

g3funk

6. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Right, but that key combo will also shut off the main monitor. Which is why you have to close the MacBook first, then wake it up with a keyboard/mouse/apple remote. There's no other way unfortunately.

7. kolax macrumors G3

I use InsomniaX which allows you to disable your Mac from sleeping when you close the lid.

The advantage is you don't have to put your Mac to sleep to get into ClamShell mode - just have the lid shut.

I have InsomniaX set to load at boot, and use a key combo to enable and disable it. Really useful.

8. miralize thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys, but about InsomniaX, can you reopen the lid afterwards to use the keyboard/trackpad?