application/ways to download online videos (not youtube)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by salar101, Sep 8, 2010.

1. salar101 macrumors newbie

So I am trying to download a video, which is online only and I was wondering if there is any way to do that? I have a slow internet and it would be nice to have it on my computer so I can watch it whenever i want it. Here is the link, for other videos you have to pay so I am guessing they disabled any sort of ways that let people to download them but maybe there is a software that would let me download this videos. Does anyone know of such things?
    thanks
    http://www.coursesaver.com/videos.php?do=display&pid=1&videoid=109

2. miknos macrumors 6502a

miknos

Usually you can go in Safari, WINDOW, ACTIVITY and you'll see a list. Search for the bigger file (usually in MB) and double click it.

It doesn't work in this one. Maybe you need a screen capture software. I use iShowU but Quicktime (File/Screen Recording) might work for you. I believe the latter only captures fullscreen.

3. salar101 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the respond. so i guess i have to sit through the whole videos in order to capture them. I wish there was an easier way

4. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

Here's how to do it in Firefox. It's best done with a clean cache...easier to find what you're looking for. Attached pic for reference.

Go to Users/*/Library/Caches/Firefox/Profiles/**/Cache
    where * is your username and ** is a random string of text/numbers ending in .default

That is your cache folder. Go there, select List View (cmd+2), and click Date Modified. This will make the most recent file appear at the top. Go back to Firefox and click the link to start the video. When the video is done loading, go back to the cache folder and copy the topmost file (file size will be in megabytes and will NOT be cache1 or anything like that) to the desktop or wherever. Add .flv to the end of the file name and you're done.

Attached Files:

5. salar101 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the respond but it does not show up in the cache folder :(