Application Wine on Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rocoloco, Sep 4, 2011.

1. rocoloco macrumors member

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

First off, WINE is not an application. WINE is a clone of a subset of Windows frameworks that have been ported to Unix-like systems. It allows a small subset of Windows applications to run [natively] on these Unix-like and Unix systems. However, if you don't see an application in the list of compatible Windows applications, then the chances are very good that the application won't and can't run.

Look. WINE is more of a curiosity than anything else. If you want to run Windows applications on your Mac, then you will be much better served by installing Windows on one of the various virtual environments or by using Boot Camp to install Windows directly on your Mac.

3. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

If you want Wine wrapped as an application for OS X, download Darwine (download x86 version for Lion). There's one thing you should know, however. There are only a handful of apps that would work, and setting it up isn't exactly a cakewalk. There are other apps that allow to run [a handful of] Windows software on Mac: Macinwindows and Crossover. You're better off going with full Windows virtualization apps like Parallels, VMware Fusion, or VirtualBox

4. rocoloco thread starter macrumors member

thanks but I dont want Windows on my Mac, I hope never will=) I just need to run one program (language dictionary), so I can use it on my exam next week.

What do you suggest?

5. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Mac OS X has built in dictionary/thesaurus. If you need a language translator, there are quite a few available for free or very cheap from the Mac App Store.

6. rocoloco thread starter macrumors member

i need special Slovakian dictionary/language dictionary with many features, like gender, number, explanation, use of words,... its called Slex99.

7. rocoloco thread starter macrumors member

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Have you searched the Mac App Store and the websites that aggregate listings of downloadable Mac applications?

9. rocoloco thread starter macrumors member

yup, but as they say, this is not an app, its some kind of software.

I just want to be sure if Wine is safe to use on Lion?

10. rocoloco thread starter macrumors member