Application wont start/install on device for testing

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by tutiplain, Nov 14, 2011.

1. tutiplain macrumors member

Hi all,

I am trying to get my app to run on my device to test it, but when I click Run on XCode it says "Build Successful" then "Finished running on device", and yet, nothing happens on the device. I have googled up this problem and everyone seems to have solved it in a different way, but none of those solutions worked for me. Here's what I've tried so far:

- Reset all my certificates and provisioning profiles.
    - Reset my Mac
    - Disconnect/reconnect iPod from Mac.
    - Reinstalled XCode.
    - Selected proper Certificate under "Code Signing" in Build Settings.
    - Verified that both armv6 and armv7 architectures are available under Build Settings.
    - Verified that "Deployment target" is set to the same iOS version as my device (4.2). An additional note: iTunes won't let my upgrade further than this version, so I think it might be related (my iPod Touch is a few years old).
    - My device name appears on XCode where one select the run Scheme. Before it said "iOS Device" until I reset my certificates on the developer portal.
    - Someone in another forum with the same problem said he solved this by enabling "accelerometer" under "Required Device Capabilities". I could not find such a setting either in Build Settings or my info-plist file.

If anyone has ever experienced anything similar to this, any help would be greatly appreciated. Since no error messages are reported, I have absolutely no idea about how to go about solving this. Nothing is shown in the device logs, either.

2. nickculbertson macrumors regular

nickculbertson

That sucks. Unfortunately, I don't have a solution for you but if I had your problem I would try to borrow a device from someone to see if that is where the problem exists. Good luck!

Nick

3. tutiplain thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply. I'll if I can borrow one from a friend, and report back what I find.

4. Sykte macrumors regular

Is iTunes running a sync on the device? This will can cause this particular problem. Does iTunes see the device.

5. tutiplain thread starter macrumors member

I can sync with iTunes, but no, no sync is happening while I'm testing the app from XCode.

6. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Have u tried building an IPA with a distribution profile, and drag it on your device while on the Orginizer, if that doesn't do it, i'm out ;p

7. tutiplain thread starter macrumors member

Hi again,

I decided to recheck everything, and I finally solved it. It seems that while both armv6 and armv7 were listed under "Available Architectures" under Build Settings, I was missing armv6 under "Architectures" a setting just a few items up from "Valid Architectures". Its default value is "$(ARCHS_STANDARD_32_BIT)". Simply adding it there solved the issue.