Applications and files disappearing

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hijessie, Nov 21, 2010.

1. hijessie macrumors newbie

Im not sure if i have some virus or something but for the past few weeks my files and applications keep disappearing.

like i had a folder full of images and then later on i only have a few left? and my textedit and vlc player disappeared from my applications folder all of a sudden.

now i did not delete anything myself. i mean even if i did i dont think i would delete textedit.

plus i only have one account on this computer and no one else logs on.

does anyone know what could be wrong? i used disk utility and repaired the permissions and tried to fix the disk but it didnt help.

I reinstalled the os and got textedit back.....

but i just need to know why these things happened? does this happen to anyone else what can i do to prevent it?

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The Windows netbooks at school do this. Its really annoying because I need to keep installing Google Chrome every time it crashes (I don't shut it down of course, because thats when it happens). Ah well, I'm downloading a big file every day... but its at the school's expense :D

Anyway, do the files go when you shut the computer down, or while your actually using it?

3. hijessie thread starter macrumors newbie

im not sure i dont notice until i need to use the program and notice its not there. like textpad and vlc was gone the next time i log on even though i could use it day before.

i downloaded this anti virus but it keeps freezing up and not finishing... so now i think i might have a virus?

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Do you do any of these things:

•Download Torrents.
    •Visit dodgy websites.
    •Download applications from unknown websites.
    •Use any Pirated software.

5. hijessie thread starter macrumors newbie

nope i only download a few music videos but i get them off youtube ... i cant think of anything i could be doing to have this happen

i used the anit virus again over night and it worked but found nothing... am i just stupidly click on wrong keys and deleting things?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't have a virus. Mac Virus/Malware Info

Did you try searching for the missing items in Finder, to see if they have been moved to another location?

7. hijessie thread starter macrumors newbie

i tried the finder and couldnt find any of the files. i dont even have very many files on this computer.

i read around that some cmd+delete could delete the applications. but im not sure if i actually did that but i was take screenshots alot. could that be the problem?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you've been using keyboard shortcuts without knowing exactly what they do, that could be the problem. Just remember, your computer will do what you tell it to do, not what you meant to tell it to do! :)

Apple Keyboard Shortcuts

9. hijessie thread starter macrumors newbie

are there actually key board commands that delete whole programs from application folders though? and multiple images in folders?

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yup. I tried "command + delete" while an application or file was selected and it was gone. :p