Applications automatically switching spaces?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pizzawench, Apr 23, 2009.

1. pizzawench macrumors newbie

So I use spaces on my Mac and occasionally I use MS Word in one space and Firefox in another. I will constantly switch between spaces because I'm doing research or something else in Firefox.

After a few switches like that, when I switch back to the space Word is in and click on the Word window it sends the document window up to the Firefox space.

It also occasionally switches the window back to it's correct space. It's very frustrating.

Is there anyway to stop this automatic moving of applications? I've looked in System Preferences under spaces and I've done a quick google search but have returned nothing.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
  3. pizzawench thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there no way to fix it? A friend of mine suggested something about code or something but it went right over my head. He's a CS major and I'm definitely not :p

4. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I don't think there's a fix yet.
    You can try to install the latest update to Microsoft Office, but as far as I know it hasn't been fixed.

5. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Maybe you are switching spaces with your mouse button depressed; which will move the app to window or space you just jumped to.

6. pizzawench thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, it only moves the window as soon as I click on the Word window. I can go back and forth a bunch of times without clicking on Word but as soon as I click on the Word window it sends it to the other space.

7. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Nope, this is a known bug for Word.

8. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

If he can prove that he knows how to fix it I'm sure that Microsoft will hire him, because they're still working on it ;)

It was enough to get me to disable Spaces for the time being, which really sucked because I was writing a very large paper for school and needed to have a bunch of windows from different apps open at the same time.