applications avi to dvd

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Flatrevi, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Flatrevi macrumors newbie

I have already read other posts about the conversion of avi to dvd, even in this forum. Because of that, actually, I've ended up downloading three diferent options I've read about: prism, Dvd creator and ffmpegX. I still haven't been able, tough, to do what seems to be simple: burn a regular dvd disc (DVD-R) to watch on my home dvd, in my TV, with the AVI movies I've downloaded. Prism doesn't seem to have the format dvds require (MPEG2, right?), Dvd creator is to advanced for me, I guess, because I just can't understand what happens, it said I didn't have a blank dvd, which I had, said something about registration and other things that I just didn't follow...My last hope was ffmpegX, but I tried to open a movie to convert and it does not recognizes the format (AVI)...and it ask for binaries, which I don't know what are, or how it works...am I supposed to download them from the internet, and then ffmpeg wil be able to convert the movie I want? Is that the problem? I just want to see the movies I downloaded on my TV...It has been harder than I thought...

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Roxio Toast Titanium will make a video DVD out of your .avi files.

3. Flatrevi thread starter macrumors newbie

is it free?
    I really need something free...any other suggetions? seemed pretty good...

4. dhd macrumors member

dhd

Hi Flatrevi,

Ffmpegx needs those binaries to work, you have to download them yourself because of license issues (the developer can't give them without paying for it), the addresses are on the window that opens asking for them just copy and paste them on your browser. Or go to to the ffmpeg website, I think they had direct links to the binaries.

Toast is more intuitive/easier to use but it's a paid program.

Greetz,

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Give Burn a try ... it is free and easy to use.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I would recommend Burn too. But the other problem you have to deal with is the wasteland that is AVI. It's not a given at all what codecs are used in all these video files you download, and it's going to impact whether or not the various conversion programs are able to burn them to DVD. Nonetheless, burn uses the same conversion underpinnings as ffmpegx, and it's easier to use, so I'd suggest it.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

iDVD will burn your .avi files to DVD.

8. Flatrevi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for the answers...I'm gonna try the Burn.
    I still wanted to know where to download the binaries for ffmpegX because there's no URL at the bottom of the note that asks me to download (even if it says that does...there is not), so I tried to look for them on the internet, tryed and when I tried to install them, locating on the ones I downloaded from the internet, ffmpegX says: "apple script erros, folder does not exist (-43)". What does it mean? How do I download these binaries??????and make ffmpegX work???
    And I tried imovie, because i don't have the iDVD, but it didn't work out either, apparently, as all the others, it does not recognizes the avi format!(how?)

Thanks so much, though...I might be helpless...

9. Flatrevi thread starter macrumors newbie

I just downloaded Burn (Burn 2.3 u, is that good?), and it just burnt a cd with the avi file, i mean, it made no diference from what the computer is able to do by itself...where is the conversing part?

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It seems you burned a data CD, click the Video DVD tab ...

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

[​IMG]

And wow, that is quite a good program, this Burn.

12. Flatrevi thread starter macrumors newbie

I clicked on the video option and the first time i tried to open my avi file it said it was not compatible, asked if I wanted to do the conversion, started it but stopped at 70%, while the application "quit unexpectadly". When I tried again, it still said that it was not compatible, but it didn't allow me to start doing the convertion. Now, any of my attempts are allowed. What happened?

And does anyone know any links where I can get the binaries for ffmpegX, in order to make it work?

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Did I completely miss it, or have you still not said what codecs are used in these AVIs? You can certainly try ffmpegx, but if Burn didn't work, it potentially won't work either, for the same reason (the codecs involved). You might be able to get better help if you say what the AVI is encoded in or at least where it came from....

15. Flatrevi thread starter macrumors newbie

I see, I'm sorry...I don't know what codecs are. And, it didn't work yet, that's true. But, I did get ffmpeg X to work properly, but the problem now is that I don't know which is the format I want to convert the avi files to. I tried some, like mpeg-TS, or DVD mpeg2enc, but after the movie got converted, the sound was no good. So, does anyone which is the exact format I need to convert to?

And I'm really sorry that I don't know what are the codecs of the avi files I have...how do I find out abou this? But I do can tell you where I got them...I got from the website: www.mininova.org. Does this information help?

16. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

mininova is a torrent site, so we still don't know what codecs you used.

Most likely it's a codec pack from the Windows days, but most likely VLC is able to play them all.

Maybe it's a really seldom used codec, that's why you have problems.

For Windows there is a program called G-Spot, which gives you almost any information about video files.
    So if you have Windows at hand, try that software with your file.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If VLC can play it, VLC can convert it into another format of your choice as well, so this might be an option. There are a number of tutorials explaining how to do this available via Google.

18. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

I have burned .avi files to DVD by using iDVD. The whole process, from start to finish, took about four and half hours. :eek: But it worked beautifully.

19. 123walter macrumors member

123walter

Avi to DVD

The best Ive found is Toast. Copy DVD, avi flv anything youtube.TO DVD. There is another program that is very versatile called ffmpegx..that requires a little work to get it up, but its not too hard and well worth it. I use it to encode subs, then Toast it. Im sure that ffmpegx would do it all, but it has so versatile..Im just learning it.
    BTW if anyone knows how to time shift subs with ffmpegx..Id like to know how.

20. 123walter macrumors member

123walter

DVD copys

I think that the original poster is probably looking for a way to copy avi files that he has purchased etc. If you wanna use a program that is gonna make your MBP hot enuff to fry eggs on, and take the best part of a day...use iDVD. IDVD is mainly for creating dvds(IMHO)
    There is only one program in MAC.
    TOAST or Popcorn.(Toast is just a more versatle version) Toast will also do flvs(youtube)
    Ubuntu has several Free things but most are two part operations. I mention this as opensource programs sometimes come in Mac and Linux versions.
    But quit screwing around. When I used windows I bought ConvertXtoDVD from VSO. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and spend a few sheckels. Its well worth it to get a program that is tailored to your needs. iDVD just doesnt show me much.

21. Flatrevi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everybody again for the answers...
    But i need do say some things.
    1- For some very odd reason, my mac don't have iDVD. I searched for it, in the applications field, everywhere, i don't have it!i don't know why...I sure would like to know.

2-Right now i have DVD creator, ffmpegX, burn, prism, and another taht i don't remember the name to try to convert. The thing is: i still don't know which format to convert to. You see, i got the programs, and then it requires (obviously) that i tell which format i want to convert to. That are lots of option in ffmegX for example, and i don't know which to choose. The ones i've tried already were no good, because the sound, after the conversion was weird, not good, it was funny...

Does anyone know wich is the exact format i need to put it, or tell, where in the programs i said i have, i go to convert to the format any regular (very regular, it is not any powerfull) dvd player can play?