Applications closing after a few seconds.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tribeone, Jan 2, 2012.

1. tribeone macrumors newbie

OK, I'm new to MAC's and learning how to get around. I have a power mac g4 running mac OS x 10.4.11 and OS 9. I t was working fine when I got it and today I did and update of the QuickTime and safari. After the update completed my menu bar at the top(whole bar) and my desktop icons are all flashing. Nothing I open stays open for more than 3 to 5 seconds. So I tried doing a restore to factory settings and now after the reboot I have a blue screenl. Can anyone at all help? I used this to restore:

First hold the command & S

root# /sbin/fsck -fy (don't forget the spaces)

root # /sbin/mount -uw /

root# rm /var/db/.Applesetupdone

root# Reboot

2. rgwoehr macrumors member

That doesn't restore it, that just reruns the Setup Assistant. To restore it you'll have to reinstall OS X

3. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

I don't know if this would do anything but, boot to an OS X CD/DVD and using Disk Util, repair disk permissions. May not do anything, but it is not like it won't hurt anything.

4. tribeone thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the idea but I don't have any disk at all. Also it wont let me boot in safe mode. I am holding down the shift key when I reboot/start the mac.

5. tribeone thread starter macrumors newbie

Tiger is os x 10.4.11 right? That cost an arm n a leg aggghhhh!!!!!

6. rgwoehr macrumors member

Yeah it is. It's ridiculous that people are trying to sell it for almost the original price. You might be able to get it a little cheaper on eBay.

7. tribeone thread starter macrumors newbie

I found it on ebay full install set it says (black disk not grey) 10.4 tiger server. Can I use that? Also I do see tiger dvd/cd full install but only one disk (Black retail not Grey), how can it be full install? Does one disk have all the other stuff like safari itunes quicktime etc etc?

8. rgwoehr macrumors member

That should work, but I would just stick with the client version. I think they're a little different. If it's one disc it's probably a DVD version.

9. tribeone thread starter macrumors newbie

OK I get it DVD holds more than a CD so it should have everything right? How about the mac OS 9. OS 9 & OS X 10.4.11 is what is on my G4 now. Yea I read the what the server has and it's different than the client version. Thanks for your help :)

10. rgwoehr macrumors member

If it's an older G4 it should be easy to find an OS 9 disc that'll work with it, but I think some of the newer ones will only boot the OS 9 disc that came with the machine. You can probably just install OS X over the current installation without reformatting. If you're going to completely reformat you could just back up the OS 9 system folder, applications, and Documents folders to a flash drive or something and drag them back onto the hard drive once you get OS X running again.

11. tribeone thread starter macrumors newbie

I have no info on this mac since I got it from the maintenance MGR where I work. How do I back up the OS 9 and all i got now is a blue screen? Also would a 2GB usb flash drive be enough tohold the OS 9?

12. rgwoehr macrumors member

Yeah a 2GB flash drive should be enough, I think it takes less than 1GB on mine. If it has OS 9 on it you might be able to boot from it, when you turn the computer on press and hold alt/option on the keyboard as soon as you hear the chime. It might let you pick between booting OS X or OS 9. If it does let you boot OS 9, double click the hard drive icon on the desktop and drag the folders I mentioned before to the flash drive. If it doesn't show up in the boot menu then you'll probably have to wait until you get an OS X disc to back it up.

13. tribeone thread starter macrumors newbie

rgwoehr thanks a bunch for your help. Just have to purchase the disk now. Found it for $40 bucks.

14. rgwoehr macrumors member

You're welcome. Hopefully it'll work. Also if you do completely reformat the drive be sure to click the option to install OS 9 drivers. I spent about a month off and on trying to figure out why OS 9 wouldn't work on mine and realized I forgot that.

15. tribeone thread starter macrumors newbie

Great news guys. I finally bought a copy of tiger and got it installed :D. Now I have another issue. My airport card is not connecting to my network. Do I need some sort of utility? I read something about an Airport Admin utility.

16. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

17. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

OS X Leopard sells for almost twice its original price, because it's the last version of OS X that runs of PowerPC machines, and it's extremely difficult to find. Every copy disappeared from Apple's stores as soon as Snow Leopard came out.

18. tribeone thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I have done a bunch of updates. I thought it was my router but all the other comps in the house connects wirelessly ecept the PMG4 which is connected hard wire (ethernet).

----------

I thought OS X Tiger 10.4.11 was the last update for PM G4 powerpc? Are you telling my I can update to Leopard?

19. rgwoehr macrumors member

I had to enable wireless B or something like that in my router to get mine to connect. And yes you could install Leopard but Tiger will run a lot better.

20. tribeone thread starter macrumors newbie

I did that already. It reads the router/network. It shows in the list of available networks but keeps kicking back wrong password. I just don't get it. Every other device (iphone, blackberry, laptop, printer and wireless desktops) connect with the same password so I know the password is correct. Is there some special way I need to type the password in? This is nuts. If I connect the G4 with ethernet connects no issue, but wi-fi connect wrong password, go figure.

21. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I believe the Airport Cards in the G4s has limited support for wireless encryption.
    I can't remember the details, but I don't think it supports WEP/WEP2.

You have to use an older type of security.