Applications...confused

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by saladiro, Oct 9, 2012.

1. saladiro macrumors 6502a

saladiro

Hi, I have mountain lion OS. I noticed this before on my older operations system, why is it that in Finder, the apps that are listed under the folder with the capital "A"applications are different from the applications found in the path "username"-Applications???

Shouldn't they be the same?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No. The apps in /Applications are available to all user accounts you may have set up on your computer. The apps installed in ~/Applications (/Users/yourusername/Applications) are only available to your user account.

3. saladiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

saladiro

cool, but i essentially want them both to have the same applications in them? How do i switch these apps that i apparently made only available to me to all users? Truthfully, i only need one user (me) i just want things to be set up nice and simple, i dont need any type of admin or complex setup...just me with the same apps in both ;)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No. There is no need to have an app appear in both folders. If it appears in the /Applications folder, it's already available to you.
    They should be uninstalled from the ~/Applications folder and reinstalled in the /Applications folder. Don't just drag them from one folder to the other, as that may cause problems with some apps.
    The default setup is to have one user account, which by default is an administrator account. Just uninstall any apps in your ~/Applications folder and reinstall them in the proper folder.

5. DoctorCrap macrumors regular

DoctorCrap

If you want those applications to be in one folder then simply put them into that one folder.

A good option is to move everything to somewhere where every user on the computer can use that application, but if you do not want that then put them in Mini>Applications

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Simply moving apps from their installed folder can cause apps to fail to function or update properly. They should be properly installed, not just dragged from one folder to another, and they shouldn't be put in any user-defined folder, but rather in the /Applications or ~/Applications folder.

7. DoctorCrap macrumors regular

DoctorCrap

Yeah. Forgot the risks for a moment there. Sorry.