Applications crashing a lot with Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jbrown, Oct 31, 2009.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Hi All,

Just in general home usage I'm finding a variety of general applications ( Safari, photoshop, Excel, etc. etc. ) seem to be a lot more crashy then they should be.

This often seems to be linked with 'doing something' such as uploading pictures in safari, printing in excel, saving a photoshop file etc. Just general things like that.

Any ideas?

2. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Create a new user account and see if you still have the same issues.

If you don't it could be a login item, driver, corrupt preference, etc.

---

Of course looking at the error log first to see why the apps are crashing helps ... goto console.app for that.

4. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

I don't think that immature Snow Leopard and its almost non-existent new features are actually worth the effort of going through the pain of upgrading (at least not for the average user), but this helped me getting a relatively stable Snow Leopard experience:

1. Format your hard disk and install Snow Leopard from scratch. Do NOT perform an update/upgrade installation of an already installed version of OS X. This is crucial.

2. Update to Snow Leopard 10.6.1.

3. Update all software packages to the latest available and Snow Leopard compatible versions. In case you have to pay for those updates - screw the vendor and use something else. CS3 runs well enough on 10.6.1, but I certainly won't buy CS4 just to get what exactly?

4. If this still does not work for you, either revert to Leopard or buy a Windows 7 license and leave Apple behind. It's the price they should pay for screwing up the last couple of operating system releases.