Applications crashing/ Blinking folder on startup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BJB Productions, Jun 16, 2010.

1. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Hi everyone,
    I did not exactly know where to post this, but hopefully this is the right spot. I was going to call Apple, but I thought before I did, I would see if anyone here had any advice.

I have the following:
    Uni-Body 15'' Macbook Pro (late 2008)
    2gb Ram
    2.4ghz
    250HD

So basically what is happening is first off, I every so often get the blinking folder on startup. I have to hard boot, and startup again. It's very random when it happens; and I can't seem to recreate it.

Secondly, Applications are crashing EXCESSIVELY more than they should. I don't generally work my computer very hard; and these Apps generally run fine. Just today I've had Safari crash 5 times, and another Application crash 3 times. These two generally never crash. Yesterday, I had some other Applications crash multiple times. I've noticed it's getting worse by the day in the number of crashes I have.

I have not backed up yet, but will in case my hard drive goes out.

What i've done for trouble shooting:
    • Cleared Cache
    • Repaired disk permissions
    • Verified the disk (it said it "appeared" to be OK)

Any help?
    Thanks

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Blinking folder with a question mark on it?
    (can't find System to boot from)

3. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Yes.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Reinstall the OS from the original disc(s).

If you've never done that, get someone to help!

You'll have to divulge the OS version for that.

5. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Dang...ok..I have Snow Leopard so that is easier said than done. :eek: Unlike Leopard which had a simple Archive and Install option.

6. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

May I also add that the whole computer is extremely laggy; most of the time it feels like i'm running on Core Solo with 512 ram.

7. iMouse macrumors 6502

Try zapping the PRAM. It fixed the problem on one of my Macs that refused to look for an OS on the internal HDD. For some odd reason, it was always looking for a bootable FireWire device.

Actually, if that box is running dog slow, you ought to test the RAM and check for a failing hard drive. Bad RAM is known to corrupt the OS, cause apps to crash, and your occasional kernel panic should the system not be able to recover.

8. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I test those things by using the hardware check off the Mac OS X dvd, correct?

9. iMouse macrumors 6502

Apple Hardware Diagnostics are crap. I recommend downloading a copy of MemTest for Mac OS X. It is much more thorough and has been known to locate flaky memory modules that the Apple Hardware Diags completely skip over.

As for hard drive checks I'm familiar with and recommend DiskWarrior. Apple also sends out TechTool discs with AppleCare, which is pretty good too. If you don't have access to either utility, you may want to ask around the forums to see if anyone recommends a freeware or trialware package to test the drive.

10. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

May I add that now my dashboard won't load. I used both OnlyX and Rember to test my hard drive and ram. They said they appeared to be fine.

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Don't you think it's a software problem anyway?

12. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I don't know. I'm just going to try re-installing the OS.