Applications Disk for Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DSX27, Jul 24, 2012.

1. DSX27 macrumors newbie

My friend has a application disk that he got with his computer and i borrowed the disk. I was just wondering if the Applications disk could work on two different iMacs? Please reply!!!!!:apple::apple::apple:

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Define "Application disk".

Most (older) Macs come with an installer disk that installs the OS and some bundled applications. These are usually specific to a particular model of Mac and won't work in any others.

Of course, whether you are LEGALLY entitled to install software that he has licensed and is using on his machine is another matter.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

They are model specific, so if you have the exact same year and model it would work.

4. DSX27 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. M87 macrumors 65816

Those disks check the hardware and won't install unless it matches the computer it shipped with, but they can be made to work on any Mac pretty easily.

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

How? Judging by the number of similar requests, I am sure many would like to know this.

7. benwiggy macrumors 68020

The disks DO NOT contain all the hardware drivers for every model of Mac. They only contain hardware drivers for that particular Mac or for a small range of similar Macs.

So you cannot just "get round" the installer by using the same technique used to install Leopard or Mountain Lion on older hardware. (Copying the installer and modifying the list of hardware that it checks for.)
    It might install an OS, but what is installed will not be usable on ALL Macs.

8. John T macrumors 68020

John T

As expected, silence was the stern reply! ;)