Applications don't start after hard drive upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bpetruzzo, Apr 23, 2010.

1. bpetruzzo macrumors regular

I'm running a late 2008 Macbook Pro. I exhausted my efforts to clear up unneeded data on the internal drive and still found I needed more. So, I bought a Hitachi 500gb drive which others had purchased and used in their MBP. The drive installed fine and I was able to restore everything from a Time Machine backup so that the system booted up on the new drive as it would have before.

Trouble is, most applications no longer work. Safari, Mail, iCal, QuickSilver and Onyx I know for sure won't start up. I get this error message:

I tried reinstalling a couple of apps but they all still delivered the same error message. Also, opening the Dashboard crashes Finder and the Dock.

Is there something I did wrong in upgrading the drive? Is there some way I can fix this without having to start everything over? Is there ANY way to transfer all of my data and settings and everything over to the new hard drive? Or will I be forced to do a fresh install of MacOS?

Also, FYI--Google Chrome seems to work fine. Thus my ability to post this question on the forum.

No suggestions?

2. PaulDCarlucci macrumors newbie

There's always the standard Repair Disk Permissions from Disk Utility.

3. bpetruzzo thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I already tried it with no luck. :/

4. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Have you tried going into Library\ preferences and deleting the related plist files? That can help with problematic apps.