Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
I recently had to reinstall Leopard and after a few days I just noticed there is an Applications folder within my home folder. It's empty but it has the same icon as the actual Applications folder. This folder was never created when I installed leopard the first two or three times, nor with any other OS version. Did this happen to anyone else? Is this normal?

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I know that Mac OS X does support user level applications, but I don't think it's officially documented, might just have been a glitch in the install though that's never happened to me or anyone else I know who's installed Leopard. There's nothing to worry about, just delete it. If you ever want it back, just make a new folder in your user home folder and name it Applications.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
did you install any different apps? or make multiple users?

the reason the folder is their is because some applications can be installed only for one user or another. and hence they go there instead of the accessible by all, normal applications folder. its harmless if nothing is in there, just delete it.

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
I know that Mac OS X does support user level applications, but I don't think it's officially documented, might just have been a glitch in the install though that's never happened to me or anyone else I know who's installed Leopard. There's nothing to worry about, just delete it. If you ever want it back, just make a new folder in your user home folder and name it Applications.

I wasn't worried, just curious. I just thought this was a weird instance since the folder was already the right Applications folder icon and when you drag it to the sidebar it shows the right icon instead of a folder.

did you install any different apps? or make multiple users?

the reason the folder is their is because some applications can be installed only for one user or another. and hence they go there instead of the accessible by all, normal applications folder. its harmless if nothing is in there, just delete it.

I haven't installed anything that wasn't on there before I reinstalled Leopard and I only have one user. I guess I'll consider it a strange glitch.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
I wasn't worried, just curious. I just thought this was a weird instance since the folder was already the right Applications folder icon and when you drag it to the sidebar it shows the right icon instead of a folder.

I haven't installed anything that wasn't on there before I reinstalled Leopard and I only have one user. I guess I'll consider it a strange glitch.

just checking.

and yes it acts just like the default applications folder because it is essentially the same thing, just on the user level rather than system.

pjrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Just incase:
I had this, and it was the 'application update' widget that I was using.
If you have that installed, go to it's settings then path settings and remove ~/Applications

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.