applications folder restore in home folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iCheese, May 17, 2010.

1. iCheese macrumors regular

Can anyone tell me how to make the applications folder reappear in my home folder without it looking like an alias?

My steam install somehow messed it up so I had to delete it, and now I am trying to figure out how to get it back.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Your Applications folder doesn't reside in your home folder, it resides at the root level of the directory.

Some apps will place an Applications folder in your home folder, but it's not the same as your /Applications folder. It will contain a small set of programs at most, usually placed there by well-meaning but misguided developers that think that's where applications should go. I wouldn't recreate it unless you absolutely need it. If you need it, just make a new folder there and name it Applications. It won't contain all of your Applications (since they are in /Applications), but you can store apps only for your user account if you really want.

jW

3. iCheese thread starter macrumors regular

This doesn't really seem to answer my question, because in my case my Applications folder in the home folder acted as an alias as far as I could tell, and it was one in the same. I just want to have the applications folder back in my home folder with the applications folder icon, and without the alias arrow.

I just want the folder structure back to what it was before steam messed it up.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

What I'm telling you is that it doesn't ever work that way. It's either an alias, or it's not. If it's an alias, just make an alias.

You can make a symlink instead, but to the Finder, that will still look and function pretty much just like an alias, so it doesn't change anything.

jW

5. iCheese thread starter macrumors regular

I understand what you are saying, but what I dont understand is how OS X had it all set up originally.

How can I make the folder and all of its contents function as an alias, without having the alias arrow, just as it would if it was a fresh install?

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Sigh.

It doesn't appear that way on a fresh install. Period. Ever.

What you had before was done by you or by someone else who uses your computer. It did not come that way out of the box. I set these things up all day long, they do not come with the Applications folder in the home folder. In any form.

You can't have an alias without the arrow in the corner. Even if you paste a custom icon on there, it will place the arrow in the corner over it. That's normal. That's expected. That's the way it's going to be.

Is it really such a big deal?

jW

7. iCheese thread starter macrumors regular

I apologize, I was wrong. I was just looking through my time machine backups and I guess there never was an applications folder in the home folder. I could have sworn there was, so I suppose the steam installed applications folder created a false memory.

I am so sorry :eek: